My Sister's Boyfriend - Chapter 16

After being shoved into the room, I looked around for something that could be used as a weapon. The only thing closest to me was a thick book. It would do little damage but it will still do something. I grabbed it and held up in the air, waiting for my attacker to come at me. Instead he held up his arms.

"I'm not gonna hurt you," he said.

"How do I know that?"

"Well you don't."

I shook my head. "If you're not going to hurt me then what are you going to do?" I didn't believe him when he said he wasn't going to hurt me.

"Well you came here for answers didn't you?"

"Um... yeah but how did you know?"

The guy chuckled. "No one knows about this place and I know one of your friends."

"Vince?" I asked.

The guy looked surprised. "You know Vince?"

I nodded. I sat down on the chair that was by the newly polished office desk. "Yeah, I know Vince."

"Oh."

"Why? Who were you talking about?"

He shoved his hands in his pockets, making me tense up. Who knew what he had in his pockets. The guy saw me eyeing him so he quickly pulled them out of his pockets and held them up.

"Nothing in there and I was talking about Erik."

Immediatly my blood began to boil at the mention of his name. "How do you know them both?"

"Well I'm.." he rubbed his chin with his hand. "I'm working for them."

"Doing what?"

He sighed. "Didn't Erik or Vince tell you?"

I shook my head. "I don't talk to Erik and Vince hasn't mentioned a damn thing."

Nodding he said, "I can understand why Vince doesn't want to tell you and you really don't talk to Erik? He talks about you non stop."

"Why?" I asked sounding disgusted. I hadn't meant for the question to come out like that.

"Your name's Haven right?" I nodded. Once again he shoved his hands in his pocket. "Erik is worried about you. He's worried that you will get hurt and that's why he wants me to find information to protect you."

"Why would he want to protect me? He should be worried about my sister. After all he is fucking her."

His eyes grew wide. I definitely made him uncomfortable with that comment.

"Let me guess you're a private detective?"

He nodded. "The name's Jerry by the way." He stuck his hand out for me to shake.

"So what can you tell me about Vince? What's his big secret?"

Jerry sighed. "I actually can't tell you anything."

"You serious?"

"Under the law I can't."

Great. Just great. I came here to get answers and I'm not even going to get any. I looked around the office noticing the boarded up window that let in a small stream of light. His office was the only nice room in this entire building.

"So why do you have an office in a stranded building?"

"I do this as a side job and I don't want a lot of people to find me."

"Okay so if I ask you some questions then can you give me hints?"

Jerry shrugged. "Okay sure let's try it."

"Why did Vince hire you?"

"He needed me to find some information."

"What kind of information?"

"What do you think he really wants to know?"

"I don't know."

"Okay. What has he lost?"

"His mind?"

Jerry laughed. "No not his mind. Something else. Think about his past."

"His sister?"

Jerry shrugged. "Maybe."

"You can't give me a straight answer?"

"No."

"What about Erik?"

"Like I said he's trying to protect you."

I shook my head. That jackass need's to just leave me alone.

I kept asking Jerry more and more questions but we didn't get anywhere. I couldn't figure any of this out. Why did Vince need a private detective? The next time that I see him, he's gonna get an ass kicking.

~MSB~