Little Sam, Frodo, Merry and Pippin

"Hello, young one," the elf murmered softly, smiling down at the little child. Sam laughed and clapped his hands in delight as he watched the elves move gracefully in between the trees.Crouching down the elf ruffled his blonde curls making him squirm and asked, "What is your name?" Sam puffed out his chest and exclaimed proudly, "I am Samwise the Brave."

Lifting his arms up, he staggered towrads him and roared; disturning a few birds that were nesting nearby. "You are Gaffer's son, yes?" Nodding slowly, he reached for a stick and began digging at the ground. "I like to dig holes and plant all sorts of plants," he mumbled . Looking up at him innocentley he held his arms out and exclaimed, "Although, it takes a long time for something to grow. One time i fell asleep because i was waiting for the lettuce to grow. Mother got cross at me, because I dirtied all my clothes."

At this the elf laughed and placed a hand on his shoulder, "You are unlike any hobbit i have ever met before." At this remark Sam crossed his arms over his chest and stared at him angrily, "That's because I'm not a hobbit. I'm samwise the brave the greatest fighter and gardener ever!" Just then Gaffer called out, "Sam where are you?" His eyes widened in surprise and he shrieked and hid behind the elf. The elf laughed and said teasingly, "I thought you were brave?"

Trembling he reached for his hand and whimpered, "I'm not! It's just that my clothes are all dirty and father might be cross." Lifting the frightened hobbit, he carried him towards his father, "Sam, oh there you are! Got your clothes all dirty I see eh?" Sam covered his eyesand nodded slowly. "Vedui.

Nae saian luume" Gaffer smiled sheepishly and took Sam from his arms, "Amin hiraetha. I have been terribly busy, looking after old Bilbo's garden. It is good to see you again, old friend." Placing his hand onto his heart, he bowed to Gaffer and swiftly made his way back towards the forest. Laughing, Gaffer tickled his son until he began to squirm and giggle. "There's the Sam I know, " he exclaimed patting him on the back.

"Come," he said, taking his hand, "What have you learnt today lad?" He looked up towards the sky and tried to remember. "Oh! I learnt how to braid my hair," he exclaimed proudly showing off his curls to his father. "What have you done to your hair!" Gaffer spluttered looking at the mess.

Sam stumbled backwards in surprise and held his arms out in front of his face, "I plaited my hair like the elves," he muttered; scrunching up his face. Gaffer at first was lost for words but then he burst out laughing. Lifting his son up onto his shoulders; sam shrieked with fright and wrapped his arms tightly around his neck.

"You look a right mess, lad," he laughed holding onto his legs. Sam grinned sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck. Putting him onto the ground Gaffer removed the flowers that were in his hair and whispered, "Hey how about you go and fix yourself up, while I distract your mother eh?" Sam nodded enthusiastically and covered his mouth with his hands, stifling a giggle. "That's my lad," he winked and nodded towards the river.

Running towards the river, Sam stopped besides an apple trre and stared up at the apples wistfully. "Sam!" Whirling around a grin spread over his face as he saw Merry, Pippin and Frodo in the distance carrying a load of apples in their arms. Staggering towards him, Pippin grinned and shouted at the top of his voice, "HI SAM!"

Frodo shook his head and punched him lightly on the arm, "He fell into the river and hasn't quite cleared the water out of his ears," Merry said,

"Or his brain!" Frodo grinned. All three of them collapsed into a fit of giggles and Pippin shouted, "HEY, WHAT'S SO FUNNY?" Merry wrapped his arm around Sam's neck and musse dup his curls, "What mischief have you been up to eh?" Shaking his head he exclaimed, "I"ve been with the elves over at Buckland Wood."

Merry grabbed and apple and rubbed it against his shirt, "Elves huh?" he mumbled in between bites. sam eyed the apples hungrily and promptly reached for one, but Merry held him back. "Hey what do you thin you're doing?"

"Give him a break," Frodo said lazily leaning against the tree. Swiftly grabbing an apple he winked at Sam and threw it towards him. "KillJoy," merry mumbled reaching for another. "GUYS WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

Shoving an apple in his mouth, merry laughed as pippin coughed and spluttered. Growling, he reached for Merry and both broke into a fight. Frodo shook his head and sat down beside Sam who was munching his apple.

"Do you think we'll ever go on an adventure Sam? Like Bildo did?" Sam shrugged and replied, "I don't know Frodo. But if you ever do make sure that you have a gardener by your side!" "Why?" "Because you never know how useful they might be."