In a heartbeat- Batman x Catwoman

You know the feeling you get when your so anxious about something or anticipating something amazing or even if you're nervous or dreading the thing that you have to do next and you can feel your heart beating in your chest? Yeah, Selina Kyle and Bruce Wayne never felt that. Maybe if they got too scared of getting caught while doing something they shouldn't they would feel it? Nope. Their hearts were dead silent. Hell, if you went off of their own heart-rates alone, they should be dead. But everyone knew that their heart didn't start until you fell in love with your soulmate.

Honestly, neither of them really cared about the whole love thing. Bruce shut himself off from the world after he watched his parents die so he wasn't necessarily the one you should go to for soulmate advice. As for Selina, she was never the caring type. Everyone pitied the poor fool that would end up being their soulmate, knowing they'd be rejected or she would never come around to loving them to find out.

Alfred even tried coaxing Bruce out to meet his but he wouldn't budge. Neither did Selina when Ivy tried talking her into meeting men. Of course, Selina would then point out that Ivy's soulmate was Harley so she shouldn't be so gender specific but that wasn't the response Ivy wanted. The two were stubborn, everyone would give you that.

When the cat did cross paths with the bat there was some flirtation but not enough for either to "fall in love". Selina would always say something seductive then scamper off, leaving Bruce to watch her leave. Though the two never "fell in love", they did enjoy each others company and liked running into them. Selina would remark that they were practically dating and Bruce just laughed it off even though he secretly liked the idea of her being open to him (maybe being open enough to start a relationship- not that he would tell you that).

The two practically threw away the secret identity idea when it came to each other too. Catwoman to Bruce wasn't Catwoman, she was Selina. And Batman wasn't Batman to Selina, he was Bruce. But while they were out and about they used their code names, not real names. It wasn't until the two were alone that the real names came out.

One night, Gotham was oddly quiet as the two stood on the rooftops watching the city below. Joker had recently been re-locked up in Arkham but that didn't mean there weren't plenty of other villains to wreak havoc on the city. Selina looked to Bruce has he took off the mask, Selina mirroring the action a second later.

"Arkham didn't seem that full." Selina remarked. Bruce just continued to stare down at his city. "Bruce?" She purred. He turned to her.

"It didn't." His voice was deep. If you asked Selina she would say it sounded like silk. "Your friend Ivy wasn't there." He pointed out. "Neither was Harley." Seline shot him a look.

"They haven't been causing trouble." She countered. "At least, not since I talked to them about it." She added, quieter than before so Bruce wouldn't hear her. He made a deep buzzing noise in acknowledgement. "However, that doesn't account for Penguin and Riddler. How come they aren't blowing up a bank or something?" Bruce didn't say anything. Selina took a step forward so she could peer down at the street below. "Something has to be up."

"Flash took care of Cold and Heat Wave." He informed her. "Not that they would bother Gotham." Selina snaked an arm up his back and wrapped it around his shoulder, her hand resting on his well-defined chest. "They know better."

"Of course they do." Selina agreed. "All the bad guys know better than to mess with Gotham." Bruce raised an eyebrow. "Except the ones that live in Gotham." She added, making a purring noise at the end. "Maybe they're just giving us the night off?" Bruce turned his head to look at her over his shoulder.

"None of them would be that caring." She shrugged.

"Just a thought." She let go of Bruce and moved to his side. "They're probably scheming something. You never can relax with people like them." They shared a look. "But why don't we stop talking about this boring stuff? We've told each other everything but I still don't know if you have a soulmate." Selina noted. Bruce looked down to the street one last time before looking back to the woman in a black cat suit stood by his side.

"Of course I do." Selina's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "We all do." She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"That's not what I meant and you know it." She muttered. "Who's the special lady in your life?" Bruce stared at her, a pissed off expression eating away. "Or guy? Look, I don't judge. I'm friends with Harley and Ivy anyway." He scoffed. "Not gonna answer?" She asked, cocking her head to the side. "Well there is always more than one way to find out."

Selina took a step closer to Bruce, wrapping one of her arms around his waist so he didn't try to escape. She held her hand up but away from Bruce in the tiny space that was between the two, palm facing Bruce. She slowly moved it closer to his chest, seeing if he would try to take a step back. When he didn't, she placed her hand on his chest to feel for a heartbeat. It was subtle but it was there and she could feel it slightly. Selina smirked up at Bruce as she backed away.

"Who's the lucky gal or guy?" She asked again. "Now you can't deny that there's nobody." Selina heard the sound of a heart beating in her ears but she had been hearing that for a while now. When Bruce didn't say anything for a while she went to ask again but she stopped when he finally answered.

"You." Bruce announced in his deep but silky voice. Selina's heart skipped a beat. Yes, the heart that wouldn't even bang against her chest after exercising for too long skipped a beat. "Now what about you?"

Instead of freaking out like any sane person would do after finding their soulmate, Selina just took that step forward again and wrapped one arm around his neck and one on his hand, dragging it to her chest. Bruce was confused for a split second but didn't show it as Selina placed his hand onto her beating heart.

"You." She stated like it was obvious. Standing on her tiptoes a bit, she brushed her lips against Bruce's ear, teasing him a little, before whispering something. "But I've known longer than you have." Bruce looked to her.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Selina shrugged as she pulled away after giving Bruce a kiss on the cheek.

"Because I was fine with you never falling in love with me which appeared to be what was happening." She replied casually. "I understand that you work better alone even though you've worked with me for quite some time. Not to mention Grayson, Todd, Drake, Gordan, Brown, and Cain." He shot her a look. She shrugged and smirk. "You deserved to fall in love on your own, not because you were forced to." Bruce shook his head.

"You always did make things complicated." Selina's smirk grew as she leaned closer to him, her lips brushing against his. He closed the small space between the two, capturing the cat in a kiss. Selina's smirk turned into a smile as she draped both arms around his neck.

"It makes everything funnier." She remarked, resting her head against his. "Watching people figure out why I do things. It's my favorite way to past the time." He chuckled, kissing her again. "What's that for?" She purred as he continued kissing her.

"For everyone I missed."