Not the time for a goodbye- WonderTrev

Princess Diana was the only Amazon on the island with words printed onto her skin. No one understood why she did though. They had been cut off from civilization for so long they forgot about soulmates. Queen Hippolyta tried to scrub the words off when she gave Diana her first bath but they didn't come off. As the years went on, the Amazons just went with the excuse of it being the work of the gods; that Diana was destined for something the others weren't. Technically they weren't wrong. As for Diana herself, she didn't really pay much attention to them anyway so there was no need to worry. Eventually, the Amazons forgot about them entirely. 

Steve Trevor's parents didn't raise an eyebrow when their son was born with black ink permanently etched into his skin. They knew the whole story about soulmates and how the last words your soulmate will ever say to you are written somewhere on your body. As Steve grew up the words seemed to blur in his mind until he completely forgot about them. To be completely honest, he wasn't worried about hearing them any time soon. He wasn't ready to lose the love of his life.

When it came to the war, Steve had officially given up on the whole soulmate thing which was common for everyone. The way they were supposed to find out was a bit harsh so some people just refused to form relationships or, depending on the words they had, leave the house entirely. Diana didn't know that she was destined to be with someone so you could happily say that she wasn't looking for hers either.

Everything changed the day Steve washed ashore on Themyscira. Diana had seen the words he had when he was getting out of the bath but that wasn't the right time to ask him about them. Instead, she just demanded to be brought to the war so she could stop Ares. Reluctantly, Steve agreed; so later that night, the two of them set for the boat and started sailing to the mainland.

"Do you people know the stories about soulmates?" Steve asked her, sitting down beside her and noticing she was staring at the words on her calf. Diana stopped staring and looked up to him, pulling her cloak around her tighter. She raised an eyebrow at him. He pointed to her calf. "You know, the words." He added.

Diana shook her head. "No. I'm afraid we don't have books about that on Themyscira." She responded. Steve nodded slightly. "What is a 'soulmate'?" 

Steve sighed, trying to figure out a way to explain it. "A soulmate is a person that is destined to be with you." He finally said. Diana nodded in acknowledgment. "But the way the words work out is that you don't realize someone's your soulmate until you lose them." She scrunched her nose.

"What's the point of the words if you don't realize they're your soulmate until they're said?" Steve shrugged.

"Don't know." 

Diana's brows furrowed. "The gods should've given you something else as a way to meet your soulmate. Something less upsetting." She remarked. Steve laughed.

"Well, it's true but we can't do anything about it." He told her. Diana looked into his eyes, pure determination in hers.

"But when we find Ares-" Steve cut her off with a look.

"Good night Diana." She sighed as she laid down on her side.

"Good night Steve." For the rest of the night they sailed back to the mainland in silence. Steve was done talking about soulmates and Ares. He just wanted to get back to his world; the world he understood.

~~~

The night they danced in the snow was magical. Steve fell in love with Diana right there and then but he didn't want to act on it because she now knew about the soulmate connection and, unlike everyone else, she hadn't had enough time to give up one finding hers. He didn't want to force her into a relationship she wasn't ready for or a relationship where she would feel like she was cheating. Not to mention the fact that they were still in the middle of a war.

When Diana showed up at the party in that blue dress, Steve wanted to run up to her and kiss her but they were in the middle of ending the war and she was determined to find Ares. Instead, he followed her through the crowds to figure out where she was going, occasionally bumping into people on his way.

As Diana fought Ares, Steve knew there was only one way he was going to help save the world. Before he hopped onto the plane to fly off he ran over to Diana. He had to say goodbye to her one last time; he would never forgive himself if he didn't. So he told her what he was going to do.

"It has to be me. I can save today. You can save the world. I wish we had more time. I love you." Steve said. Diana felt a sharp pain on the inside of her calf. But she didn't hear what he said so she didn't understand why her words were causing her such discomfort. Steve kissed her goodbye before running off. 

It wasn't until much later that the words became clear in Diana's mind. She replayed the conversation again and again as she fought the war god. As Steve got ready in the plane, Diana cried out, everything hitting her at once.

"NO!" Steve turned in his seat to look at Diana. He instantly regretted his decision and tried to get out of the plane but failed. The woman he loved; the love of his life; the woman he was destined to be with; his soulmate was standing down there battling a god and he was sitting in a plane about to go off on a suicide mission.

"There's nothing you can do now." Ares told her. "Your soulmate's going to die on that plane."

"No." She whispered. "No!" Ares smiled darkly.

"Too late."