Chapter 17

"Chano you are going to start school on Monday." Mama tells Chano at dinner. It was the first week of Agosto, August. We start on the Monday of next week. It was Thursday of this week. Only a few days.

"I am?" Chano seemed happy also. He got to go to school back in Mexico but only for two years. Then he left and went into working in the field with Papa. The little that I knew I had learned from him. But now I got to learn on my own.

"Yes. You will be starting 2nd grade. With Pepe's son. Marce will be in Kindergarten. With Elizabeth, the Patrones' and Pepe's daughter." Mama tells him. He looks interested. He must be happy too. I know I am.

"How are they going to school?" Papa asked. He looks concerned.

"A bus is going to pick them up at the Patrones' home." Mama assures him. I pick at the food on my plate: beans and pork meat. I wasn't very hungry. I haven been very hungry lately. Mama gets up and picks up our plates. Papa was leaning back in his chair. He looks darker than he did. The sun must be tanning him. We have only been here for about two weeks. Here, as in the U.S. And I'll be here forever, possibly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later at night, when everyone was asleep, I sneak out of my room. I quietly close the door and make sure no one hears me. I walk slowly into the living room to make sure no one is awake. I breathe & I walk out. I slowly close the door. I step outside and breathe in. It smells fresh. It is cool & breezy. I sit on the swing and look up at the moon. I pull in my legs to my chest. The moon shines on me, bright & big. I slowly swing myself. I feel tears come out slowly.

"Hey you," a low voice says. It startled me I nearly fall out of the swing. I look over to where it came from. It was a boy. Rosa's brother. Antonio. I dry away my tears.

"Hello." I am still pulling back tears.

"Why are you out here? Why are you crying?" He comes closer to me. I try to get away from him as much as I can. He comes onto my porch.

"No llores," he puts his hand out to me. I t?ake it. He comes to me and sits next to me. He hugs me. He rubs my back.

"Its going to be okay, little one." He says softly. I sob a little. He hugs me tight. I start to get up but he holds onto my hand. He gets up and looks at me.

"Estas linda. Ya no llores. You're cute. Do not cry." He leans in closer to me. He hugs me tight. Then he pulls away from me. He looks at me, smiling. He does not look anything like Rosa. He has a sweet smile. He comes in closer. I watch him, wondering what he is doing. He closes his eyes and makes his lips small. I realize what he wants to do. Kiss me.. I quickly back away from him and reach for the door knob. I was close but he pulls me into him. He tries to kiss me again.

"No stop please." I manage to say. He has me pressed into the wood of the cabin. He starts touching me. I am little and weak but I try hitting him and it worked. He winces and I escape. I open the door & quickly close it. I breathe fast. I slide down to the floor and I cry even harder. He tried to kiss me. And he touched me. I cried more and more. I got up and went to the bathroom. I look into the mirror. My eyes were red and big. I washed my face with cold water. I make my way back to my bed. I am weak. I stay awake for a while. I don't know how but I fell asleep.