Chapter 1

It was a humid Saturday morning. I got up & changed into my favorite dress that my grandma Sela brought me from her shop. I first help Mama with house work & then I am allowed to play. I always play with Luis, my best friend. He lives two houses down from mine with his mom & uncle. Our families are close so we were always together. We're both 5, although he's only a few older than I am. after I helped Mama with chores, I said good bye & walked over to Luis's house. His dark hair was soaked with sweat as he helped his uncle unload the truck with tomates & calabazas, tomatoes & squash.

"Buenos días, Don Seve."

"Buenos días, Marcela." He waves as he hands Luis a box.

"Hi Luis," I say.

He looks up and starts to smile when the box of squash slips. I run over quickly and help him.

"Thanks, Marce,"

"You're welcome," I say as I pick up some squash that had fallen.

Luis's mom comes outside and quickly hands Luis 10 pesos.

"Luis, go to the plaza and buy some chicken. Quickly, por favor. Take Marcela with you." She smiled sweetly at me as we head out. We arrive at the plaza & greet Don Leon, an old man who owns the plaza.

"Buenos días, Don Leon," Luis & I say, almost in unison.

"Hello kids. What do y'all need?"

"Mama wants some chicken."

"Here is it, Luis," Don Leon says as he hands Luis the chicken.

"Don't worry."

"Gracias Don Leon!" We wave goodbye & walk home.

As we walk home, Luis skips pebbles on the road. Well, it's not much of a road, just rocks.

We finally make it to his house. His uncle had finished unloading the boxes & was now sitting under the shade of a big old tree, drinking beer. I don't know how many he had, but he was no longer sober. Doña Sarah walks outside.

"You're late," she scolds Luis, snatches the chicken, & walks hastily back in side.

"Come Marcela. I want to show you something." Luis grabs my hand & pulls me along with him. We start off walking quickly & then he started running, so I had to pick up my pace. We end up at Papa's field, where he & Chano, my eldest brother, are working.

"Hello Don Pancho. Hola Chano." Luis greets them.

"Hola mi'jo," Papa pats him on the back. Chano doesn't look up. Papa gives me a kiss on the forehead and I skip away happily, catching up to Luis. He grabs hold of my hand & walks me under a big shady tree in the field.

"Look," he said as he shows me the dark, rough bark of the tree. I squinted to see what he was trying to show me. I finally caught sight of what he wanted to show me: it was a roughly carved heart. It read "M+L" on the inside. I cupped my hands around my mouth & gasped. Luis may have been my best friend, but I knew our friendship was special.

"Luis," was all I managed to say. He holds my hands in his.

"I can no longer keep it a secret, what I feel for you, Marcela. And I'll understand if you do not feel the same."

The wind blows around us, making my long, brown hair flow. I didn't know what to say.

"I know we are only little but age is nothing when the heart is speaking." He spoke as if he was not a 5 year old, but a grown man. I did not know where he got this from. We didn't even go to school because it was too far from our rancho. I thought about what I would say. 'The truth', I thought. I start to speak.

"Luis, this is sweet. And I also cannot hide it anymore."

A smile on his face grows big & wide. He has a gap between his teeth, although it's not very noticeable. He hugs me tight. I am happy.

We walk back to our houses, holding hands. We find Marcos, Suzy, & Amanda playing on the patio of Suzy's house. Doña Maggie, owner of Maggie's Taqueria down at the plaza, is sweeping the stairs of her patio. Amanda's eyes follow our movements as we approach them.

"Hola," I say, still holding Luis's hand. She doesn't say anything. Marcos gets up & comes over to Luis.

"Hola Luis." He gives Luis a big hug. They were close friends, but not as close as Luis & I are.

"Want to play?" Marcos is juggling an old, tattered up soccer ball. Luis lets go of my hand & runs after Marcos & the ball. I sit down with Suzy & Amanda.

"I have to go," says Suzy, staring at me as she stands up. She runs into her house.

"Don't believe her." Amanda says, handing me a bolis. I shrug & take the bolis from Amanda.

We played till the sun set. Then Mama came looking for me.

"It's time to go home, Marce." I stand up, wave goodbye to Amanda, & follow my mother. I get home, wash my hands, & join my family for dinner. Chano & Papa had already came home. Daniel, my baby brother, was babbling in his homemade highchair. Mama had made my favorite: entomatadas, cheese filled tacos covered in tomato sauce. We spoke of our day as we ate dinner. We may not live in the city & we may not have lots of money, but we have one thing: love.