Chapter 16

The next morning we go back to the Patrones' home. I am escorted straight to Elizabeth's room. Rosa was already there. She is giving me a mean look, again. Elizabeth has many notepads spread across her bed. She also has pencils & crayon boxes. I am curios what she is going to do with them. I try ask her. I point to her stuff.

"This is for school," she responds. I wonder what 'school' is. She sees my confused look. She pulls out a book.

"School is where you go and learn." She points to her picture book. I see a building with children and teachers. I know now what she is talking about. I have never been to school. I was curious about it. She must have seen my face cause she starts speaking again.

"You have never been to school?" I hear disappointment in her voice. I nod.

"Aw I'm sorry."

Heather walks in at that moment.

"Hello girls. Are you all hungry?" She asks us. No one responds.

"Mom can you believe Marcela has not gone to school?"

"What?" Heather turns to me.

"You have never gone to school?" She is speaking in Spanish to me. I shake my head.

"Would you like to go?" She asks me, smiling. I nod with excitement. I've always wanted to go.

"Great! We'll get you and your brother into Elizabeth's school in town. You'll be in Elizabeth's grade. I'll try to see if I can get you and Elizabeth in the same class. How old is your brother?" I am surprised. How does she know I have a brother? I answer her question.

"He is 9."

"Okay. We'll go into town later today." She says and then walk out. I look happily at Elizabeth.

"You can go to school now!" She jumps up and down and she makes me join. I was so happy I get to go to school. I quit jumping when I see Rosa. She gives me a mean look but way more mean than before. Elizabeth stops too and looks at Rosa.

"Rosa! I am so sorry! We forgot about you. I'll tell my mother to put you too." She smiles at Rosa. She has the same look. She now gives me chills. I look away and sit down with Elizabeth. She seems very happy about it. I am also but I am also nervous. I have never been to school. Who will I meet? What will be there? I then remembered: I don't speak English. How am I going to go when I speak no English? But how can I reject the Patrona's offer? I want to go to school. I want to learn. I want to be smart. I want to read. I want to write. Elizabeth interrupts my thoughts.

"I can't wait for school! It starts next week!" She shrieks. She must love school. I want to love school too. I just laugh at her. I give a quick look over at Rosa. Same face. I look back at Elizabeth. She gets up and gets some coloring books and crayons from a big box of them. She gives me a book & one to Rosa. She just looks at it. I open it happily and start coloring. We spend all morning coloring and singing the alphabet. The Patrona comes in.

"Girls, lets go. We're going to town." Elizabeth gets up quickly, finds some shoes, and puts them on.

"I'm ready mother!" She jumps up and down. I get up next to her. She holds my hand and drags me out her room. Rosa follows us. Mama & Maria wait downstairs for us. I smile at Mama. We reach the bottom of the stairs and head out the door. The Patrona goes into the garage and drives out in a grey car. We all get in. Elizabeth in the front with her mama. Mama, Maria, Rosa, and I in the back. I am next to Rosa. She gives me a cold mean look. I shiver. We pass many rows of fruits and vegetables. We pass a few houses along the way also. More Americans I thought. It was maybe 20 minutes later when we reach the town. I had not seen this part of town. I try to look out the window but I feel a tight grip on my arm. It was Rosa, pulling me down. I don't scream or tell Mama; I just pull away and rub my arm. She left it red and with fingernail marks. The Patrona makes a right turn and goes straight ahead until we reach a small school building. I couldn't read it. It was in English. We pull into the parking lot and park. We all scramble out, right behind her. She walks us into the school. It was small but I was still caught by what I saw. I had never been inside a school. The Patrona walks to a room and talks to a lady with glasses. The lady comes out with papers and pens. She sits us down and starts asking the Patrona questions.

"Marcela Castillo Lozano. Victoriano Castillo Lozano. Rosa Guadalupe Rodriguez. Antonio Rodriguez." She must be asking for our names. Although I didn't know who Antonio was. Then I look at Rosa. It must be her brother.

"5. 6. 9. 9." Our ages?

"Mexican immigrants. They are working in our field." The lady looks at us.

"Parents' names."

Mama tells the lady her name and Papa's. Maria does the same. The lady struggles a little bit with the names. She gets it written. She fills out the rest quick. She looks up.

"Welcome to our school, Marcela & Rosa." She smiles at us. I felt happy. I was getting a chance to go to school. I smiled big. Rosa still has her mean look but with a smile. I shiver a bit.