Chapter 24

"Estas son las mañanitas que cantaba el Rey David, hoy en ser tu día, te las cantamos así. Despierta Marcela despierta. Mira que ya cumples 15 años. Los pajaritos cantan y la luna ya se metió!" My family surrounded me, singing to me. Today, July 15, 1995, was my 15th birthday. It was also the day of my Quinceañera. I was so excited. I had been waiting for this day since last summer when Papa said I was having a Quinceañera. Papa said he had been saving money since I turned 13. He had enough to make me a Quinceañera. I sit up in bed and receive hugs and kisses and blessings from my family. Leann and Daisy were also there. I give them big hugs. I blow the candles out and get out of bed. My parents walk out and Chano and Daniel follow. Leann and Daisy stay. They walk over to the mirror with me. I look at the reflection given: tall, skinny girl, with big brown eyes, small lips, and nose. I had not changed much. I still see the small little girl who came from Mexico knowing no English at all. They hug me.

"You're 15, Marce. You're so big." Daisy gives me a big hug.

"Happy birthday Marcela." I look at the reflection of them and smile. They smile back.

I spent all day getting ready. I got my long hair trimmed and then curled. Leann did my makeup, light and simple to match my gown. I went to pick out my gown last month. It was a light pink puffy one, to represent a little girl becoming a woman. Me, a little Mexican girl, was becoming a woman. Now to get into my gown.

I was ready. We were going to church for my special ceremony. After the ceremony, we are going to the local reception hall Papa rented for the night. Leann and Daisy walk me out of my room into my living room. My parents were waiting for me. Chano and David were all dressed up across from our parents. Chano was my chambelan de honor, escort of honor. Papa walks towards me, hugs me, and looks at me.

"Mi niña ya es toda una mujer. My girl is now a woman." I smile at him and hug him.

We were at the ceremony. I was so happy. I sat in the front in front of My Father. I give Him thanks for everything He had given me and the ceremony goes on. The photographer gets pictures and records all the ceremony. I'm happy he did. I want to look back to it one day.

We now drive to the reception hall. As I get off, I look around. Here we go. Papa escorts me into the the hall. Many people were already there so applauses break out. I am ready to cry of joy. Papa walks me to my table. Chano follows and Daniel. Leann and Daisy sit next to him. Mama and Papa are greeting the guest. Some guest come by and wish me a happy quince. The hall got full very fast. It was small. I see a lot of people from school who I had made friends with. I saw the neighborhood here. I saw friends of my parents and brothers. I was happy they came out to celebrate with us.

Dinner was being served so I took the time to walk around and greet people. I was walking back to my table when something catches the corner of my eye. Some guy was walking around looking suspicious. I try to not look at him. I sit down and enjoy my dinner of barbacoa, frijoles, arroz, ensalada & tortillas.

It is now time for the special events of the night, the Father-Daughter dance, the Dance of the Last Doll, Changing of the Shoes, and the Guest Dance. Papa walks me to the middle of the room. He sits me to a chair in the middle of the room. Everyone is clapping. I just want to cry. He takes off my white flats, and takes a box with sparkly pink and places them onto my feet. Everyone claps louder. Then the music starts. We dance to a waltz. I was nearly crying this time. Papa told me to not cry and I don't. I lean my head on his shoulder instead. Then I danced with Chano. After that, Mama hands me my doll, which looks like me but I was more darker, and place it between Papa and I. We dance another type of waltz. He spins me around this time. I fall perfectly into the hands of Chano again. The Guest Dance starts. People start getting up and come to the middle to dance with me. People pin money on my gown while they dance with me. I dance with Chano then Mama then Daniel then the neighborhood. When I thought I was finished, the same guy that I had seen earlier comes up. He pins a dollar carefully on me. I shiver. He takes my hand and places it in his. He holds my waist and draws me into him. I try to not look at him. He is trying to look at me but I don't let him.

"Marcela..." He says. His voice was deep and mesmerizing. I look up. He looks into my eyes and I look into his. At that moment, I forget everything and everything around me just stops. Those eyes, I thought. They are big and hazel, sparkling with happiness... Luis.

I start to speak but I do not know what to say. I feel tears run down my cheeks. We don't get to dance long because the Guest Dance ended. He walks away into the crowd. I stand there, in awe.