Chapter 2

Later that night, as I walk out of my room and into the bathroom, I hear voices in the kitchen. Mama & Papa. What could they be talking about? I tiptoe quietly to the edge of the wall, hoping to hear them. They sit at the table.

"Pancho, we cannot get that amount of money." I hear Mama speak.

They were speaking of it again. I can tell.

"Yes we can. I can get a loan if I have to."

"It's not easy, Francisco! Think about the children!"

"I am thinking about them! That's why I am doing this. It will a better future for them."

Mama puts her head in her hands, as she shakes her head.

"I don't know, Pancho."

Papa holds onto Mama's hand.

"They're going to help us cross with many more people. It's not only us. They're the best ones also.

"Coyotes are never safe, Pancho. It does not matter if they are the best." She stares into Papa's eyes, with fear.

I quickly head back to my room with the word 'coyote' buzzing in my head. 'What is a coyote' I thought, as I closed the door to my room. I had forgotten that I needed to use the toilet. I carefully close the door and lie awake on my cot. I share a room with Chano. I turn to my side & look over at Chano.

"Chano?" I say quietly.

"Chano." I say it a little louder.

"What?" I get a weak response from him.

"What is a 'coyote'?" I am curious.

"It's an animal," he sighs as he replies.

"Oh okay." I turn back to my back and look at the ceiling. An animal... I think to myself. I hear my parent's bedroom door close. The house is silent and my eyes get heavy. I let out a deep breath and fall asleep.