Lies and Phone Calls

Barry was getting tired of holding down a long distance relationship. They both knew it would be hard, but the other could come to their city in a matter of minutes. So that's what he was doing.

  He was running to National City.

  It was only a thousand miles away, so he calculated going 2301.807 miles an hour for 1000 miles, it would only take him approximately 39 seconds. That doesn't sound like a very long time, but when you're a speedster dying to see his girlfriend, it feels like hours.

  Kara was sitting on her couch, enjoying her always short lived leisure time. She was normally far too busy, what with being Supergirl and the assistant to the most powerful person in National City.

  Her eyes glided over to her windows, to see a bright orange light zipping past all the National City traffic. She rushed to her door and opened it for the speedster. She waited there for a few seconds.

  When minutes passed, she decided to call him. She had her back to the open door while she was dialing his number. No one was answering. A knock came from behind her and a smile of relief fell on her face as she exclaimed, "Barry!"

  "No," the man at the door said as she turned around. "Just James."

  "Did you see Barry in the elevator or on the stairs, by any chance," she inquired.

  "No," he shook his head, "sorry."

  'This is fine,' she thought. 'I'm sure he's just picking up some Mama Chow's. Or, or maybe I didn't see him at all. Then why didn't he answer his phone?'

  Her thoughts were interrupted by James, "Why, did he say he was coming?"

  "No," Kara responded. "I just, I thought I saw him. Outside, I mean."

  "Huh," James shrugged. "I brought you some dinner," he held up a bag of takeout.

  "Ooh," she squealed. "Thank you! I am so hungry!"

  "Well, I was thinking, maybe we could have dinner toge-"

  Kara's phone began ringing in her hand. She smiled at it while she pressed the button. "Barry,"she breathed.

  "Hey. Could you meet me outside? I'm in the alley right next to your apartment."

  "Always," she hung up the phone. She paused a minute before looking at James. "I, uh, Barry called me and-"

  "It's fine," he nodded her off. "If you want to go out with your 'boyfriend' you can."

  "Thanks," she gently hugged him, not noticing the annoyance coming from him.

  She ran down the stairs, nearly slipping on several, to meet him. He was her life. The elevator would never be able to hold the amount of excitement pent up inside of her. She burst through the side exit, and found her way to Barry, literally jumping into his arms. A small "oof" could be heard by the man but that didn't stop her from the warm hug she captivated him in.

  "Kara, I-"

  "No," she said, still containing him in her arms. "No talking. I just want to enjoy this moment. The one I'm spending with you." Her embrace was soon countered by one of his own. They both had their eyes closed and Kara's face was buried in his chest. He smelled of pencil shavings, stale coffee, and lint, with just a hint of smoke. They discreetly swayed side to side with one another, and this position was held for a good few minutes.

  Eventually Kara was the first to pull out. She still gently rest her head on his shoulder as she breathed, "Why do we always have to be in alleys?"