Chapter 39

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 39

The most painful thing about the next Full Moon was that not only did Ardelle accompany him alone, but she and Remus both knew that that was going to be the way it would be—possibly forever.

James Potter was dead.

Sirius Black was in Azkaban.

Peter Pettigrew was no longer a Marauder.

Remus had taken the Wolfsbane Potion, so he kept his mind during his transformation, but it was still painful to watch him.

"Rem," Ardelle said softly as Remus transformed—and then howled at the Full Moon.

Potter Mansion was lonely without the others around and visiting—without the Order of the Phoenix.

The Order of the Phoenix had no reason to hold meetings anymore, with Voldemort gone and nothing left to fight for.

At least, that's what it felt like to Ardelle.

The only people she had to fight for were Remus and her daughter, Astra.

Astra was with the Weasleys, so Ardelle knew that she was safe.

Quickly, Ardelle transformed into her animagus form and went up to Remus, and as though they could read each other's minds, they sat down together, right beside each other.

It seemed oddly quiet without the company of Sirius and James.

The thought sent another pang through Ardelle's heart.

She met Remus' eyes—and it was as though Remus was thinking the same thing as her.

They both reached out a paw,

and touched paws.

Because they had each other.

***

"Professor!" Ardelle said, eyes widening as she quickly straightened her back, flattened out her clothes as a reflex and said, "It wasn't us!"

"I know," Professor Dumbledore said a little sadly as Ardelle quickly stepped aside and let him in. "How are you, Mrs. Potter-Lupin?"

"As good as I can be, I suppose," Ardelle said, "What are you here for, Professor?"

The two of them sat down in the living room.

"Where is Mr. Lupin?" Professor Dumbledore asked, as Ardelle hurried to make tea for him.

"He's at work right now," Ardelle said, "We managed to organise a thing where we take turns—we each got a position in the Ministry—it's not an excellent job, but we're trying to get better jobs. Anyway, I go to work one day, and Remus works the next, so we take turns taking care of Astra."

Professor Dumbledore smiled a little, "Perhaps someday you'd like to come and teach at Hogwarts."

"Perhaps," Ardelle said, "But we'd need Astra to grow up a bit more, though, for me to leave her alone for just one minute. She's sleeping right now—I'm hoping she'll stay asleep. What did you come for, Professor Dumbledore?"

"Actually, I'm here because I wanted to ask you...if you'd be willing to have another child in your household."

Ardelle's eyes widened, "What? Who?"

"Leonis Black," Professor Dumbledore said with a smile, "I'd assume you're familiar with him."

"Oh, merlin—Leo? Who has he been with since Marlene and Sirius...?"

"He has been with Madam Pomfrey, in fact, at Hogwarts Castle," Professor Dumbledore said, "Poppy volunteered to care for him temporarily, but the little boy needs a permanent home—a family."

Ardelle's eyes were shining now. "So...you think he should come live with us?"

"If it is alright with you and Remus, yes, that is what I believe," Professor Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling.

"Well, I'm certainly not opposed to having three children in the house," Ardelle murmured, smiling.

"Three?"

"Yes," Ardelle said, "in a few months, Remus and I will have a baby boy."

"Congratulations, Mrs Potter-Lupin," Professor Dumbledore said with a smile, "Would you like to take care of Leonis, then?"

"Of course, of course!" Ardelle said, her expression brightening with joy, "Is everything sorted out? Do you have the necessary permissions?"

"Yes, I do," The old wizard said, "If you agree to it, then after we finish sorting a few documents and things out, Hagrid will bring him here next week—to his new family."

"So Remus and I will adopt him?" Ardelle said with a bright smile, "That's wonderful!"

"Yes," Dumbledore said with twinkling eyes, "You will adopt Leonis. As soon as Remus agrees to it as well, and the two of you sort out some documents and things, you will both adopt Leonis Black."

***

Remus agreed. He agreed to it.

Even though he knew that Sirius had always suspected him to be the traitor to the Order—even though he knew that Sirius had not trusted him ever since it was discovered that there was a traitor in the Order.

Even though Sirius suspected that Remus was the traitor because he was a werewolf—because the Dark Lord had been gathering followers, and Remus was a werewolf, and to Sirius that was enough reason to accuse Remus of being a traitor.

Remus had not ever told anybody of this—not yet.

He had kept Sirius' accusations to himself; he didn't want to worry other people, or cause rifts between other people's friendships with Sirius—especially not Ardelle's friendship with Sirius.

But even though Sirius didn't fully trust Remus, Remus had always fully trusted Sirius--even though everybody believed and told him that Sirius had betrayed the Potters, Remus' head and heart told him that Sirius wouldn't do that.

Remus had his own suspicions about who had truly betrayed the Potters...

And so Remus whole-heartedly agreed to taking care of and adopting Leonis Black.

Because the little boy deserved to have a family.

And because Sirius Black was one of Remus' best friends.

***

When Leo arrived, smiling innocently like all was right with the world, Ardelle knew that she, Remus, Astra, Leo and their unborn son were starting a new chapter of their lives together.

A new chapter.

A new chapter

of the lives of the Wolves.

THE END.