Chapter Seventeen

You may have noticed that this says Chapter Seventeen and may be thinking, I thought I already read that Chapter, truth is I did a little editing so please check out the previous three chapters and tell me what you think!

____________________________________________________________________

Chapter Seventeen

The Den

Chaos

Those bastards! The dirty rotten, disgusting, lowlife assholes. Of all the despicable things that could have been done, they do this to me? Was it not enough that they blamed me for the bombs? For the death of their friends, family and young? Oh, just they wait! Just they wait until I kick their asses.

With one more glance behind, I made my decision. I tightened the backpack's straps and headed towards the window. The backpack contained various items I was able to snatch in the short time I was awake in Doctor Monto’s observation room. I woke up disorientated and groggy several moments ago in the observation room. There was no one else around, the room dark and quiet. Like the theif I was, I stole the necessary equipment I thought would be helpful for my escape. I looked around the room once more before I climbed up the windowsill to leave the Den.

The drop from the window to the ground was only about twelve feet. Gathering my resolve, I launched myself out of the window and landed in a crouch on the ground below. Searching the area for any signs of activity, I stayed low and ran towards the wall. Pulling out a grappling hook, I took aim at a large cider tree behind the wall and tossed the hook on the nearby branch. After tugging twice on the rope, I began to climb over. Putting one hand over the other and using my feet to climb the wall, I was able to scramble up and over it in no time.

Retracting the hook from the branch, I inhaled a deep breathe, stilling my racing heart. Not daring to rest and chance exposure, I slipped off the wall and began the trek to the northern end of the Den. With feet quiet as a mouse, I made it smoothly and without detection. Finding a bushel of leaves, I eased myself into their scratchy embrace and hid. 

 I followed the leaves until I found the house I was looking for. With ease, I climbed over the wooden fence that surrounded the backyard. The sound of laughter trickled out of the open window on the second floor. I glanced around the tiny forest, double checking that there wasn't anyone around. I looked towards the window and crept forward.

A wolf howl went up in the air. Damnit! They must have realized that I was missing. I glanced at my watch. It only was about twenty minutes since I slipped out of the window. I was slightly impressed at the increased vigilance on guard duty. As quick as I could. I climbed the wall of the house to the open window. I pulled myself up and glanced inside. Sitting on the bed, Lilac held a penlight over an open book.

I softly whisted. Lilac's head snapped up and locked onto my face. Within seconds Lilac was flying across the room to the window. I wrapped my arm around Lilac's bony shoulders and hugged her with all my might. I took in her soft, baby smell. It reminded me of every reason why I fought the battle I fought.

"I've missed you, Chaos!"

I closed my eyes tight, my ragged heart tearing apart a little more at the pain in her voice. The pain in her voice was my fault. "I know baby. I've missed you too. But I need you to be a good girl and stay here a little while longer."

"But Chaos! You promised..."

"I know and I am going to keep my promise, Lilac. But in order for me to keep my promise, you need to be safe and right now, I can't keep you safe." I tried to explain, but Lilac's pleaded me to take her away right now.