Chapter One

Now in these coffins lie the bodies of my little stars.

No more can they shine. No more can they go so far.

In my soul they left their marks. In that world they left their scars

With their disappearing bodies, I can feel the earth weep. I can hear the rivers cry

Chapter One

Shifters’ Den

Logan

“I can’t do this anymore!” I threw my hands up in complete defeat. It has been more than four months since the attack on the Den and progress has been slow. As soon as the bombs exploded, Shifters’ Den was put into a mandatory lockdown and has been in lockdown since. The only exception to the rule has been the visits made by the President. He has volunteered the help of the military. We have not allowed the military to do anything, but guard the surrounding wall and gate. No humans have been allowed inside the Den. And from the look of things, no human will ever be granted access in the future.

The shifters of the Den have been working furiously to rebuild the Den. But even the most determined shifter can only work so fast for so long. We only have a few shifters who are educated in architectural design and construction, though many are learning. With the figurative ‘no humans’ sign on our front gate, getting supplies into the Den has been difficult to say the least.

Not that we didn’t have any supplies. Oh, no. Shifters’ supporters have been calling in every hour to donate money, food, and supplies. Their care and support have been outstanding, but there is only so much one can give. No one will be able to help the shifters’ families who have lost a loved one. The friends who are still missing. Or worse the children we have buried.

I was supposed to be writing a memorial speech for the children. On behalf of Unforgotten Stars, a foundation for deceased children, a monument was donated for the seven children. Their names were engraved in stone. The stone was in the shape of a red rose with a petal curled on the ground near its steam. The statue was pretty. And in honor of the young children, we were going to have a memorial service.

I stared at the blank word document. The little blinking cursor mocking me with each blink. I needed to write an opening speech. But I couldn’t write a single word down. Nothing would be able to take away or ease the grief of their parents, family, and friends. Nothing. I felt useless and like an imposter. Who am I to write touching words to the children? I failed them. I promised them safety, yet they weren’t even safe in their own homes.

I closed my eyes in anguish. The children were the worst. Their tiny bodies mangled and burned. The look of horror that remained in their face, their unseeing eyes. All of them were bright young stars, extinguished way before their time.

Anguish and anger. Anger and anguish. It’s been a volley between those two feelings for the past several months. I closed my eyes tighter, trying without success to force the images of their mutilated bodies out of my minds. Seven stars who will never burn bright. Seven stars, who will never laugh again, play again, smile again.

The anguish was replaced by anger. Anger at myself, anger at the Agents, anger at Chaos. I cursed a blue streak. I failed to protect the Den, but I didn’t pay the price. No, those seven stars paid the price with their lives. And I sat here behind my desk with their names forever burned into my brain.

Maddie
Stella
Zane
Marcus
Drake
Annabella
Wesley

I opened my eyes and started at the documents in front of me. I yanked the mouse harshly and slammed my finger down to exit out of the document. I pulled up a check list of things I needed to do. The President and Vice President wanted to schedule a conference call to see how the construction was going. However, there wasn’t much to report. There have been no problems that I had to solve or came across. There have been no attempts to break into the Den since the military have taken over the outer perimeter defense.