Chapter Seven

Dance in the light, rejoice for today

Before you know it, it’ll all fall down

The light will fade to grey.

Chapter 7

Shifters’ Den, New Kitchen

Kade

I kicked opened the front door, following the delicious scent with my nose. My stomach grumbled informing me not kindly that I forgot breakfast this morning. As I was strolling up the stairs, when I heard Sunny shout in her southern drawl, “Tariq! Don’t you—’. Her sentence was cut off by a squeal and then a peal of laughter. Sunny’s voice continued to drift from the kitchen, her half-laughing, half-choking on words.

Tariq’s soft voice was only a hum amid the noise from the kitchen. My lips kicked up in a smile and I quickened my pace. It’s been a while since anyone has really had some fun around her. With Logan in his office for hours on ends, Falkon running around the world on half-facts of information, Derek drilling the guards harder than before, and Brandon mopping and snarling at everyone.

My feet just hit the landing when a large clattering sound echoed throughout the new mansion. Sunny’s exasperated voice shrieked, “Now, look at what you’ve done!” I took the last several steps into the kitchen and heard Tariq apologize, but not sounding one bit apologetic. My eyes connected with his and we both smiled.

The always put together Sunny was now completely disheveled. Her hair was ruffled from its straight pony tail, with tendrils spilling down the side of her face. There were several large flour-hand prints all over Sunny’s black trousers. Her left check had icing smudged across it. I couldn’t help but resist teasing her.

“If you two need some more alone time, I could always just step out. But I think I should warn you, us shifters have great noses and could probably smell the scent of s—”

Sunny sent me a withering glare and stated in a firm voice that promised pain, “Kade, if you know what is best for you, you wouldn’t finish that sentence.”

I smiled and walked over to Sunny. My animal stretched himself, ready for some more teasing. Us cat-shifters, absolutely loved to play and we especially loved to tease. I wrapped my arms around her and licked her check clean, adding extra slobber. Her tiny arm came up and slapped me in the back of the head.

“Boys,” she muttered softly under her voice. Tariq chuckled softly and I let loose a loud laugh. I sat next to Tariq, watching Sunny bustle and hustle around the kitchen. The brand new kitchen that Tariq personally designed for Sunny.

I shook my head in amazement and voiced my amusement to the couple. “You know, I think you two should be considered for testing for something.”

Tariq raised an eyebrow and went back to eating his cereal. Sunny paused for a second before going back to polishing the silver ware. In a bored tone, Sunny responded, “And why is that Kade?”

I took my time chewing my Rice Krispies. I lifted my head up and connected with Sunny’s eyes. “You two do know, you are the only two shifters I know of that have mated, but are dating? I am just concern, I want to make sure—” I cut my gaze over to Tariq “—that everything is in working order.”