Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Location Unknown

Chaos

The cell phone that sat on the porch came to life as it vibrated, indicating a message. I glanced over at the phone, debating on whether or not I should answer it. I just decided to ignore the message when the phone came to life again. With a sigh, I leaned over and snagged the phone with quick hands.

They contacted me.

The message was simple, but it's meaning complex. I texted back.

What'd they want?

The phone was one of Berto's latest technological advances. He went on for days on why this phone was the phone I wanted to use. He said with its cryptic software, every message, phone call, email, or web search completed on this phone was automatically encrypted. There were several other factors, but the only other fact that I cared about was that it could as act as a scrambler.

The phone vibrated, indicating an answer to my question.

They wanted to know if I was still in contact with you. They also wanted to know if I could pass a message along to you.

I raised an eyebrow at the last comment. A message?

The answering message came swift enough.

Apparently the fools are going to go to the PC meeting in a few weeks time. They are looking for information on the other PC members.

I sighed. Was I really that surprised that Logan and the others were going to go to the Paranormal Committee? Not really, they were stubborn bastards. I closed my eyes and quickly ran through several options of distrupting their plans on going to the meeting. Nothing really met the level of statisfaction I   wanted. In addition, if I stopped them from going to this meeting, they'd only try ten times harder to go to the next meeting. Or worse, they could try to go to the members of the committee directly. And that would be worse then if they went to the PC meeting.

I quickly asked Joe what his response was.

I didn't give a response. I have until night fall to get back to them.

I asked Joe if he could give them enough information on the committee memebers to be able to handle themselves.

Yes, I can. But Chaos are you really going to let them hang out to dry? No matter the information I give them, they won't handle the situation well.

I responded, Just give them the information. I'll handle the rest.

I closed the phone and slid it away from me. The past several days had consisted of me reapproaching my contacts and gathering information. Since the bombing at the Den, the Agents have been surprisingly quiet, which made me nervous. None of my contacts could give me any solid information, but they all swore up and down that the Agents were up to something.

I rolled upwards and pulled myself to my feet. I headed into the small abandoned cabin house. The living room slash kitchen was chilly, bring goosebumps all over my arms. I grabbed the small wrap around sweater and put it on. I walked over to the computer on the desk. I lightly tapped the mouse and the screen lit up. In the bottom hand corner, a small letter was blinking, indicating a new email.

I opened the email and hurriedly read the message. It was from Rzake. My smile widened.

I formally request the present of Chaos, representative of the Shifter's Den, to my home. You will have free entrance and use of my personal portal. --Yours, Rzake.

Tricky bastard. Rzake should have heard long before that I was believed to be dead. But then again, this isn't the first time the world thought I was dead. I had a tendency to come back alive against all conceivable odds. I blew out my breathe. It seems the Paranormal Committee's antics are starting earlier than usually. This meeting should be fun. I clicked out of the email and began to power down the laptop. Within a few hours, I planned to be boarding a plane to take me to Washington D.C., where the PC held counsel. But before that happened, I had to make a few pit stops.

I picked up the phone and I dialed the number by heart. After two rings, the scratchy voice answered, "Hello"

"Looks like Chaos is about to make her announcement of being alive to the Paranormal Committee."

"Hell, I thought you were going to go underground for a little." Berto replied.

"I was, but then someone invited the Shifters to the party. Now what kind of person would I be if I left them to defend for themselves?" I retorted.

"You're never going to let that go are you?"

"Well, you did tell the Shifters about the PC."

Berto released a sigh. "This meeting is going to be more intense than the other meetings. If my sources are right, the Potenza and Forza are plotting again."

I let out a small chuckle, "When aren't the Fae plotting? It's in their blood to plot. I'd be more concerned if they weren't plotting. What about the bitches-- I mean witches?"

"Hopefully the Gifted will be able to solidify the alliance that we formed at the last meeting."

I smiled. "Perfect, if the Gifted ally with the witches, than I'll have more resources at my fingertips."

"Not everything the Gifted do is for you benefit Chaos. We may be friends Chaos, but the Gifted have no true alliance with you. The Shifter's, yes. But you? No. And especially with the Shifters being involved in the meeting now, the Gifted may actually go after you. You know the Gifted do not handle treachery well."

"I know, I know. But I still plan on being the Shifter's representative. Whoever Logan sends can just bite me." I responded. "When are you going to D.C.?"

"I'm already here. I had to handle a few problems before the meeting began."

"Everything alright?" I half-asked, already knowing Berto could handle anything in his way. He was not one of the most sought after mercenary for no reason. And he sure as fuck didn't get the position he has as top boss among the Gifted by being soft.

"No, I'm good. Just a few kids that needed a lesson in discretion and control."

I winced in pain for those kids. Berto's lessons were not easy lessons to learn. "Alright. Well I have a few errands to run before I can catch a plan."

"Okay. Well you know the deal as soon as we enter the House."

I nodded my head, "Yeah I know. Once I step foot in the House, we don't know each other. We aren't friends. You can't help me and I can't help you."

It was important that the PC believed Berto and I weren't connected. Not only would it effect his position in the Gifted, but the others may try and play off on our friendship. It also allowed us to have a slight upperhand in the underhand tactics played by many of the PC. I wasn't best of friends with the witches and Berto wasn't best of friends with the Fae or the Elves. Berto can handle the Elves, but he never quite learned how to smoochinize with the Fae.

"Chaos, are you sure this is a good idea?" Berto asked, a hint of concern creeping into his rough voice.

"Eh, its probably not a good idea, but I was promised the use of Rzake's personal portal." I infused enough of a purr into the word personal that Berto couldn't mistake my meaning.

I heard Berto's groan of frustration across the line of the phone. "Please be careful when you are dealing or sleeping or whatever it is that you two do behind clothes doors. He's the Kind of Elves and he isn't know for his patience or forgiveness."

"I know what I'm doing Berto. Ciao, see you in a few hours." I disconnected the phone and began to formulate plans and lists of things that needed to be done before I left Colorado. My last comment to Berto filtered through my mind, did I really know what I was doing?

I shrugged my shoulders. Even if I didn't know what I was doing, it wasn't going to stop me from attending the PC meetings. I wasn't one to sit around my ass and do nothing. Besides, I wasn't officially invited to this party and I've always wanted to gate crash a private event.