Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Outside the Den, Colorado

Chaos

Berto’s lips tickled my ear. His warm breath fanned across my check, momentarily shielding it from the cold.

“Are you sure about this?” he asked softly. I scuttled forward on my elbows and stomach, removing myself from underneath Berto’s body. I flipped over, landing on my back. I stared deeply into his eyes, trying to assess his feelings. I wedged my elbows into the ground, lifting myself up and closer to him. I licked my lips and allowed my answer to drift across the little distance between us.

“That’s what he said.”

My laughter followed shortly, mocking Berto in a way only I could do. He rolled his eyes, not acknowledging my childish retort with a remark.

“You know,” I continued, ignoring his ignoring of me. “If anyone stumbled upon us right now, they’d think we were lovers.”

Berto let out a soft chuckle, “Too bad. If only they knew the truth, they’d realize I want to strangle you.”

I let out a muffled laugh. “Oh, the things you say. I love it when you talk dirty to me.”

Berto shoved me to the ground and extracted himself from my twisted limbs. He slowly brushed off the dirt on his pants. I stayed on the ground, watching him. Berto lifted his head and waved goodbye. Before disappearing into the night, Berto warned, “I don’t want to be pulling your bleeding body across the streets of Colorado, again.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll just grab Lilac and leave.” Breto grunted in disbelief and left.

I waggled my fingers even though he was probably long gone. I turned around to face the direction I was originally. I felt a tiny spark of rage ignite every time I glanced at the building. The new Shifters’ Den. No longer was the white mansion standing proudly for all to see. It was darken with black sooty stains and burnt wood. The glass windows were boarded closed. Scaffolds and construction equipment littered the garden, crushing the browning grass. Several sections of the house were missing.

I continued to scan and search the grounds before me. For the past three days, I’ve been sitting on top of the ledge scoping out the new Shifters’ Den defenses. And I had to admit, there has been a step up in security. It was going to be difficult to sneak in, but not impossible. I glanced down at my stop watched and clicked start. The American army guard rotated every 4 minutes. At the corner of the south side wall, there was a 30 second delay due to the rocks. The delay gave me just enough time to slip through the first line of defense.

I pulled the ski mask over my face and began the trek down to the ledge. With sure and steady feet, I easily passed the army guards. I pulled myself up into the closest tree, giving myself time to regroup. I pushed out a large breathe of air. I yanked the ski mask off my head, freeing my short spiky hair. I ran my fingers through the strands, admiring the bright green. Berto doesn’t understand my obsession with dying my hair. But it is a very simple reason. I choose to dye my hair; I decide what color it will be. Me. I decide, no one else.

I slowly rolled my wrists, cracking the bones loudly. My tattoo stood out boldly against my pale skin. Tonight there will be no pretense. The shifters will see my face and they will know that I am not dead. Nor will I be cowed by them. I am Chaos and no one can put me down, not even myself. Not until the Agents and Peter are dust in the ground. I glanced at my watch and cursed softly, I was behind schedule. I looked over my shoulder watching the exchange of guards occur once more.

I dropped out of the tree and continued my mission. I ran as fast as I could, leaves and branches whacking my sides. My arms pumped back and forth, harshly cutting through the air. My feet pounded softly, propelling me faster. The wall, a fifteen foot smooth concert wall, rapidly came closer into view. I pushed myself harder, trying to reach the wall faster, only to come to a complete and abrupt halt.