Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Boondocks

Chaos

I breezed my way through the doors, smiling my most dazzling smile at Old Mama.

"Hiya, Old Mama!" I chirped happily. I leaned down and grazed Old Mama's check with a kiss. Old Mama accepted my greeting, but continued to knit away at a lovely pink blanket.

"Now Girl, I don't know what you are up to, but the last time I saw you this happy was before you and Berto went to the Bahamas to blow up an Agent Lab. So, tell me plainly, what do you plan to destroy this month?" Old Mama's southern drawl made her speech musical.

"Is anyone ever going to let the Bahamas incident go?" I grumbled.

"No." Old Mama answered bluntly.

I laughed softly as I checked the fridge for any leftovers. A plate of chicken and mash potatoes was sitting on the top shelf. I snagged the plate and popped it into the microwave, warming the food up. Once the microwave dinged, I pulled out a chair and sat down at the table with my food. Minding my manners, I didn't answer Old Mama until after I swallowed my bite. Old Mama was always a stickler for manners.

"Old Mama, I ain't blowing anything up this time." I gave her my most devilish smile possible.

She just chuckled and shook her head. "How come I don't believe you?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Honest Old Mama, I'm not much into blowing up buildings; that's Berto's specialty. But serious, I don't have plans to blow anything into pieces, but you're right, I'm normally never this happy unless I'm planning something epic." I rubbed my hands together in glee. "And, boy am I planning something Old Mama."

I scooped another forkful of mash potatoes into my mouth, savoring the spicy flavoring. It was probably going to be the last time for awhile that I enjoyed delicious tasting food. Old Mama kept knitting away at her pink blanket, barely phased at my joy of causing destruction and havoc.

The soft tapping of her knitting needles was kind of soothing in a strange way. I continued to eat my dinner. Once it was finished, I carried my plate over to the sink and began to rinse it. Once the plate was clean, I dried it off and put it away with the other china. I sat back down in my seat and waited for Old Mama to finish her knitting.

Old Mama took her time, but eventually, she placed her knitting needles down and glanced at me. "Go ahead girl, I know you want to tell me something."

It was almost like old times. Berto and I would gather around this table and plan each and every one of our mission out, using Old Mama as a sounding board. It also didn't hurt that Old Mama could see into the future on occasion. Her input was invaluable and she didn't give it lightly.

"Okay so," I started, placing my elbows on the table, "I've been doing a lot of thinking lately." Old Mama muttered something under her breath, but I continued forward. "And you're right. The Den shouldn't suffer just because the Alphas are assholes. So I decided I wasn't going to let years of my hard work go down the drain because of some boneheaded morons."

I could see my decisions made Old Mama happy. Her eyes glistened with pride and happiness. I almost regretted telling Old Mama the next part of my plan, but I need her advice and suggestions. "That's why I decided to go to the PC meeting."

The glistening in Old Mama's eyes was extinguished immediately.

I threw my hands up in a form of a plea. "I know Old Mama. I know what you think of Berto and I interacting with the Committee. It's beyond dangerous and one wrong word could get us killed. You also hate the part where Berto and I do not have a formal agreement of truce between the Shifters and the Gifted. But the Shifters know about the PC. They know that there will be a meeting this month. And I know for a fact that they don't know what they're getting themselves into. We both know that Old Mama."