Chapter Three

Don’t ever say when you see ashes, “The one who caused this was a devil in the body of a man”

Cause “Not everything is as it seems” is the simple truth that we let slip away through our hands.

Chapter 3

Shifters’ Den, Medical Wing

Logan

I strolled into the medical wing. When I took in the scene before my eyes, I felt as if I was transported to a zoo. A small speckled cat was scrambling around the room, avoiding Doctor Monto’s assistance. The tiny cat that couldn’t weigh more than 20 pounds was hissing warnings. Several medical trays were turned upside, their contents scattered across the floor. The little cat had a harness strapped around its back and neck.

I turned and saw a glimmer of amusement in the normally somber eyes of Doctor Monto. The sparkle of laughter in Doctor Monto’s eyes caught me so off guard, that I forgot what I was doing down here, until the little cat hissed at me.

I turned my eyes on the tiny cat and let my Alpha magic flow out into the room. I crouched down to the cat, holding eye contact the entire time. The little spotted cat lowered her eyes and broke the contact, acknowledging my dominance. My hand clasped around her neck and I dragged her out from the gurney she hid under. The tiny cat protested with little yowls, but didn’t try and swipe at me with her paws.

I placed the cat onto the gurney. I almost released my grip of her neck when I felt her muscles tense. I grabbed her neck firmer and forced her to face my direction. With my Alpha magic flooding the room, I stated in a calm voice, “Do not get off this table.” The cat blinked at me and her large ears and long tail twitched, as if she was gauging how serious I was. I lifted my lip and growled, allowing the lion to reinforce my command. The tiny cat lowered herself with a soft whimper.

I released my hold on her neck and turned my attention to Doctor Monto. I took in disaster before me and asked the tiny cat, “Did you cause this?”

The cat’s head poked up and she nudged her head against my hand, begging to be petted. When I didn’t automatically pet her, she began to lick my hand. I chuckled softly and obliged the little cat, stroking her sides and scratching behind her ears. “Does this always get you out of trouble, little one?” A soft purr filled the air.

Doctor Monto cleared his throat. “Derek brought her in, in her cat form. She was unconscious and Derek said he caught her trying to sneak in through the forest. He snagged her in his tiger form. As soon as his teeth grabbed the fur of her neck, she went hay-wired. She scratched him pretty good on the face. Derek swore he only shook her gently to tell her to knock it off. Apparently she just went limp and unconscious. Shook Derek up pretty badly until I told him she was absolutely fine. I gave her a full check up and noted she was a little underweight. I left her in the care of my two assistances to get her some food. When I left she was unconscious in her cat form and everything was peaceful; but when I came back, I walked into a war zone.”

I glanced over to the little cat on the table. She rolled onto to her back, stomach showing me the vulnerable spot of her soft belly. The gesture was a gesture I took to my heart. Not only did it show me that she accepted my dominance, but she trusted me not to abuse it. I lowered my face to her stomach and her body tensed, expecting an attack. But instead, I placed a kiss onto her stomach, acknowledging her gesture with one of my own. I moved my face up to her eyes and asked in a soft voice, “Will you shift for me? So we can talk?”