Chapter. 15

Chapter. 15!

Enjoy

After cleaning the complete meat off a fish bone, I dropped the empty carcass of bones into the fire, whilst dangling off a low branch. I traced my fingers over the two fang marks, wincing when it stung. It had all ready scabbed over, suddenly a thought hit me. If I was to go up against the Virtūte and stop the games, I would have to fight against these vampires.

"I wish you were here," I whispered out loud, a tear streaming down my face. If my brothers were here, I would feel confident, but they're not, they're dead. The words stung like a knife in my heart.

"Hey," Joey said, sitting next to me and wiping a tear off my face, "what's wrong? Your arms hurting?" He guessed

"No, it's just, it's just nothing." I sighed, sniffing back my tears.

"It's your family, I know you too well." Joey said.

"I just... I just miss them so much." I cried, bursting into tears, as Joey offered a hug as I sobbed.

"They might, they might not all be gone." Joey said, "you never know, one of your brothers might return." He sighed.

"I never really thought of that," I sniffed, holding back anymore tears.

"You should rest, I'll keep watch." He said

"Are you sure?" I asked, yawning.

"You need to sleep, I'll be fine." He grinned.

"Okay, only if your okay," I said, lying down and before I knew it, I was in a deep sleep.

***

How had I not thought of this! I suddenly asked myself, waking up abruptly. I bent down and stared at the locked skintight band on my lower leg. If I took it off, I would be free to run through the boundary, but it would take a lot of werewolf strength to pull it off. I climbed down from the tree and sniffed the air, but one thing did worry me, I could smell vampires within a mile. I quickly climbed back up the tree, "guys! Wake up!" I whispered loudly shaking them. "Vampires, are near." I said. I didn't know how many people were left in the games, but right now, there might be two less people within a few minutes and those two people are present with me.

"What?" They both asked alarmed. A high pitched scream suddenly ran through the air. There getting closer, and that's another person down. We all climbed higher up the tree, and fell silent.

"It doesn't make sense!" A voice yelled. "We've tracked them down to here, but there's no sign of them!" I knew that voice was Tom's voice.

"Let's just keep moving. With wolfie with them, they could probably track us down before we could track them." Another vampire said, before stumbling over a tree route.

"Your right, let's go." Tom said. I counted ten minutes, until they were at least two miles away, so out of vampire scent. I noticed something on the ground, it looked like a handheld radio. I jumped down from the tree and picked it up before climbing back up.

"What is it?" Joey asked

"It looks like the vampires dropped a walkie talkie." I said. "Be quiet and don't say anything." I said. I pressed down the speaking button before saying, "hello?" Into it.

"Who the fuck are you?" A voice yelled back down it.

"No one, who are you?" I asked.

"I asked you first!" The voice said. There was another voice in the background.

"Haley, what are you doing." Tom's voice said calmly.

"I dunno, I just found it lying around." I said,

"Well, will you save us the job of tracking you down and tell us where you are?" He asked

"Yeah sure, I'll tell you where I am, right after I go and meet up with Archie." I said sarcastically, my voice full of irony.

"Fine, but we'll find you." He said.

"Not unless I find you first." I challenged.

"And how do you plan to destroy me? You can't without using your werewolf form, which your banned from using." He laughed.

"Oh yeah, well I think Archie's friend Alec, would disagree." I smirked.

"You killed him?" He asked shocked.

"Yes, now are we just gunna talk all day or get back to The Blood Games?" I asked. I heard a voice in the background,

"Dude, she doesn't realise the handheld radio has a GPS tracker in," whispered a vampire.

Tom laughed before saying, "game on."

I quickly ripped the back of the radio off and pulled out the tracker.

"You guys wait here. I'll be back in a minute." I said to Joey and Brooke. I climbed down the tree, with the tracker in my hand. I had to be quick because the vampires would reach me soon. I started sprinting until I was far, far away from our base. I dug a deep whole and buried the tracker, before putting a boulder over the top of it. I ran back to our base quickly, "guys, we need to move bases." I said, when I reached the others. They didn't argue, they just grabbed all the food and weapons and climbed down the tree with me. We found a tall tree which lead to a high up ledge with a cave in it, nobody would be able to reach this base. We climbed the long tree and clambered into the cave which was surprising light inside. I lit a fire torch for extra light and sorted out our food, "we've got shelter now, I've seen the end of the blood games and it always rains heavily, so nearly everyone gets soaked to the bone and dies of hyperthermia," I said.

"What about water?" Joey asked, "to drink?"

"There's a spring at the bottom of the tree and most of the time we can just catch rainwater." I said. A small drizzle of rain started outside, but I built a fire to keep us warm. We were all relaxing when the handheld radio made a noise.

"Well played, Haley." Tom spoke into it, "nice little trick with the tracker."

"Why thank you," I said sarcastically, almost forgetting that the person the other end, wanted to kill us.

"Well, we can catch you when your weak, because if you didn't know, vampires don't get cold, because they're cold blooded." He laughed

"More like cold hearted." I said bluntly, "but how do I get cold, I'm a werewolf, my body temperatures something like 47°." I laughed.

"And what about your friends," Tom said coldly. The humour dropped away as I fell silent, "yeah, I didn't think so." He said. I put the radio down, no, I'm not gunna let them die. I stood up and headed out the cave.

"Where are you going?" Joey asked alarmed.

"Keeping you safe." I sighed.

"Wait!" Joey yelled.

"We know what this is really about. The vampires only want to destroy you to upset me, so by leaving you, they'll think I don't care about you anymore and not go after you." I sniffed.

"It's torrential rain out there! You won't be able to sniff out any vampires after you." Joey said.

"But neither will they." I said. "I've made my mind Joey, and there's nothing you can do to change it." I said

"I know," he said weakly.

"I know how to destroy these games and I'm about to try." I said, "so leave me, I'll hopefully see you again, if it works." I added, before turning around, about to leave.

"Can we at least say goodbye?" Brooke asked. I turned to face her, "be careful, your practically my big sister!" She sobbed.

"I know, Joey will look after you though." I said, hugging her tightly. I awkwardly stood up, "so I guess this is goodbye, Joey." I said sadly, before turning away.

"wait!" Joey said. I turned around to face him when I felt his lips on mine, "be careful." He whispered.

"I will," I sniffed, "goodbye..."