Chapter. 9

Chapter. 9

Haley's POV

This years Blood Games felt like they were running into the next year, which they did a lot of the time with past games. Tom and his stupid vampires hadn't found us, nor had they killed any more people. The population remained seven people but only nine vampires, because when vampires become hungry they kill the nearest thing. So hopefully, before anyone finds us they would be down to just one vampire by killing each other. I thought it had to be a year by now, but the announcer said we were only into our eighty-fourth day. I then realised something.

"Brooke, when's your birthday?" I grinned, I remembered that when I was her age, I always longed for my birthday and it would cheer me up at the worst of times.

"It's the twenty-seventh of August." She grinned, excitedly having remembered. I worked out that eighty-four days were exactly three months and the games started on May the 10th so there were only seventeen days till her birthday. "What month is it?" She asked, now all excited for her birthday.

"Ummn, it's August." I grinned,

"Really! Are you sure? I can't believe it! What date is it!" She said excitedly

"It's the tenth so seventeen days till your birthday." I grinned. Joey watched me get Brooke happy and excited, chuckling away as she went on an overdrive madness.

------------

"Hey, Joey will you play a game with Brooke, she's bored as hell and I need to catch some food." I said, not giving him an actual choice, he was going to play with her, whether he wanted to or not.

"Sure," he replied

"But keep near me so I can tell you when someone is near." I said.

"Sure," he replied again, before climbing down the tree and deciding a game with Brooke. I walked over to the river, we didn't need anymore food and had enough, but I needed time just to relax and decide my plan to destroy the blood games. I watched Joey chase Brooke, then grab her and tickle her. He was good with younger people, he knew how to make Brooke laugh and have fun. I never had a younger sibling, my baby sister was killed at only eighteen months old, and so I was the youngest, with four older brothers. My brothers were protective of me, being the only girl in the family by that point, as my mother was killed trying to protect my baby sister from the vampires, but they were both killed. My father and brothers never let me go on missions to destroy vampires who were too close to towns and villages. They made me stay at home and told me to have a normal life, that was until I turned sixteen and I became a full wolf. My family didn't expect it, as I acted so human with barely any wolf traits, they assumed I wouldn't become full, but when I did, they became more protective of me. My father wouldn't let me go to school, he had me homeschooled and when I was sixteen, my brothers were in their twenties. My life was a roller coaster, one that I couldn't stop or get off. I thought nothing could get worse, but then the attack from the vampires came. They headed straight for our pack first, as it consisted of six, not like most packs which were two or three. One of my brothers lead me away from the pack, straight after I watched my father being torn to pieces by the vampires. He was my oldest brother, the one I almost loved best. He gave me a plane ticket for one, which he'd brought for himself as he knew this day would come, but he gave it to me, sacrificing his life for me. I remembered him taking me to the airport, dropping me off, but when I turned around I saw him fall as a vampire ripped him to pieces and his last words were, "RUN".

------------

I've always wandered if he survived, or if any of my other family survived, but by now they would have found me. I watched Joey walk over to me, with a tired looking Brooke holding his hand. "You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah I'm fine, why?" I asked

"You have a tear on your cheek," he responded, wiping it away.

"Oh, I was just thinking about my family." I answered, feeling awkward.

"You two both look like you need sleep." He grinned before taking us back up the tree. He cooked up a fish for us to eat, whilst I stayed on watch out and Brooke curled up under Joey's coat and my coat. I watched her slowly fall asleep after eating, she was finally better.

-----------

I woke up in the night, taking my shift on watch out. I sat down with my legs hanging over a branch. I heard Joey approach me from behind and he sat down next to me, then put his arm around my shoulder. He threw a bit of wood into the fire to keep it lit, then said, "you know, you never really talk much about your family, only that their gone." He said calmly, but not forcing me to answer.

"Well, I can only tell you how amazing they were, and how I wouldn't have wanted a better family." I replied.

"How many people were in your family?" He asked

"At one point there were eight of us, but the vampires slowly wiped my family out." I replied, "I had a baby sister who was killed with my mother and I had four older brothers and a dad." I said, "but then came the war and the next thing I knew, I was on a plane to America."

"Where did you live before?" He asked,

"England," I replied.

"Really? You don't have an English accent." He grinned

"Well, I guess it just changed." I grinned back.

"You don't mind me asking, but how old are you?" He asked

"Eighteen." I replied.

"No, your age you've been living for, not your human age." He grinned

"Oh, well about twenty to thirty years old at that point." I grinned, "I wish my age wouldn't be stuck at eighteen all my life, I wish I could grow up, I wish my age stuck at twenty or something like most werewolves age stick to, not eighteen." I replied.

"Wow, your actually quite young, I assumed you'd be hundreds of years old." He grinned

"No, that's just vampires usually, they came before us." I grinned back. I heard Brooke toss about, suddenly realising she probably heard me say all of that. I turned around to see Brooke standing there.

"Your a werewolf?" She said in shock, not fear as werewolves and humans are friends not enemy's.

"Yes, I know it must come to you as a shock, but I am. I was going to tell you later." I replied

"Awesome!" She said, her face beaming with excitement.

"But Brooke, you must promise, never to tell anyone, nobody! Especially the vampires!" I said sternly.

"I promise." She said excitedly before reaching down to sit on my lap. It must be about six o'clock in the morning, as it was becoming brighter, so we did our usual routine.

------------

***stay tuned for next chapter! read on little readers!!***