Chapter 13- All These Years

Note: If you're reading my other story, The Rules of the Game, sorry but there won't be an update this week. It was the holidays in Manila but I had to work and there's a lot going on at work again currently.

Chapter 13 - All These Years

January 27, 2014

L'Amore Italian Restaurant

Cambridge, Massachusetts

Today was the most nerve-wracking day of all for Isobel Clayton.

On the flight back to the US, she couldn't stop thinking about Dash's words. She held the key so tightly that it the marks were already embedded on her skin. She also envisioned all the scenarios that could happen... but that just made her extra paranoid.

And finally she was here.

The restaurant wasn't open yet. The table were stacked neatly on one side of the room while waiters, who weren't in uniform yet, cleaned up the floors. Isobel got curious glances when she entered. There were also several whispers of: we're not yet open.

Isobel looked around briefly and a thousand memories assailed her. She remembered those nights she was here with Alex. They were here when they celebrated passing their exams, random date nights, comfort food whenever one was sad, and so much more. She sighed when she saw the booth that the owner always reserved for them.

"Miss! Come back in two hours!" one of the waiters shouted. It was followed by snickers from the other waiters.

She just ignored them and approached the nearest one. "By any chance, is the owner here?" she asked. The waiter pointed towards the bar.

Isobel's eyes lit up and in a snap, all her anxiety vanished.

"Giuseppe!" she shouted. The man looked up and squinted.

"Bella? Is that you?" he shouted back. "Yes!" she answered and ran towards him. The tall, burly man lifted her and gave her a hug that almost crushed her ribs.

"It's been a long time!" Giuseppe told her. She patted his back as she released him. "Yes, it has," she agreed.

"So are you here for a visit?"

"Uhm. Actually, I'm here for this," Isobel said as she withdrew the key from her pocket and handed it to him. Immediately, his smile vanished.

"Alex? Don't tell me he's dead!" Giuseppe roared. His hands were shaking as he stared at the small key.

Isobel gasped. "What? No!" And then she remembered Dash's words. He told her that Alex only asked the key to be given to her when he's dead.

"Thank the Lord he's fine! Then, if you have that key and he's doing great... you must have gotten back together, no?" Isobel didn't have the chance to reply. Honestly, she wasn't sure what she was going to answer anyway.

"My how you have grown. And you're more beautiful than ever!"

Isobel laughed. "And you, Giuseppe, are still as charming as ever," she retorted. And then the narrow hallway echoed with Giuseppe's laughter.

"Follow me, bella." Isobel followed him and he headed towards his office. She stood there in the doorway while he rummaged around piles upon piles of boxes. Then, he handed her a small metal box. The edges were already rusted and there was a thick layer of dust on it. Her hands trembled as she accepted the box.

"I'll leave you in here for a while, bella. Please make yourself comfortable and take all the time you need. I'll just be outside. Shout if you need anything."