(18) Present

(18) Present: 2012

We arrived at his sleek black car that was had tented windows and black leather seats. Xavier put my stuff in the trunk before opening my door for me. Robotically, I sat down and put on my seat belt before staring out the window. We began head down the road, and the effects of my recent decision. What have I done? I just sold my heart, body and soul to the one man I have been fighting to get away from.

“You’re awfully quiet,” Xavier commented.

A giggle escaped my lips, and that shocking action made me burst into a fit of laughter. My body shook because I was laughing so ridiculously hard.

“What’s so funny?”

After managing to quiet my giggles, I looked up at him with a slight smug smile. “It’s amazing how a decade can pass, yet things don’t even seem to change. Here we are, again.”

He remained quiet, probably processing it. I looked out the window, laughing quietly to myself.

“You know, things are not going to be the way they were before. I’m not your property anymore,” I whispered, not meeting his eyes.

“Oh?” His voice was more mocking than curious.

“Yup. I realized something tonight that took me over ninety years to learn: I don’t have to follow your rules anymore. I’m my own person,” I told him proudly. I wasn’t afraid of what he would do anymore. Heck, if he hit me, I’d most likely grab the steering wheel and drive us both into a tree.

He was still quiet. This was a huge turn of events from last night’s time together. I felt almost high on power. My mind was racing with the possibilities of what I could do. I wanted to do everything he told me not to do. It was as if a dam had broken inside of me and spilled out an enormous amount of rebellion.

“Talk about what you want if that makes you feel powerful my dear, Lucy.” A smirk appeared on his lips, challenging my big talk.

“I am powerful.”

After nearly two hours of silence, we pulled into a motel and got a room for the day. I followed Xavier into room 1920—the irony of the room number was enough to send me into another fit of laughter when I realized it was the year we met—and we dropped our stuff onto the floor. Of course we got a room with one bed. It was deliberate, and I simply ignored it.

“We have at least another two hours of night,” Xavier hinted, his dark eyes practically undressing me.

I actually was thinking about what to do. What was wrong with me? Just a few minutes ago I was thinking how powerful I was and in control. Yet I couldn’t control my urges. I wanted him so badly that blood didn’t even sound appealing. I began to picture crushing my lips to his and just letting my power melt away. But if I did appeal to my dark desires, it would make every ounce of power I had shown him in the car seem like just chit chat. I had to show him that I wasn’t going to allow things to go back to how they were.

My mouth seemed dry and I closed my eyes for a moment to erase the images. “I’m going to take a shower before the sun rises…alone.” I grabbed my bag and headed into the bathroom, locking the door behind me.

If that was hard for me to do, how was I going to handle the next few years with him? Yes, I did plan to stay with him as long as I could handle. So how would I do that without giving in? Really, being with Xavier was the greatest benefit back in the day. I sighed and turned the shower to burning hot to burn away his scent from my skin. The thing that helped me through it was remembering Jeremy’s expression when he walked in on us.