(11) Past

(11) Past: 2003

“Wait out here, I need to talk to her myself,” Xavier said as we stood outside of an old house.

I nodded and plopped down onto the porch. I didn’t even know why we came here. He never even tells me where we are going anymore. Sinking into my own self-pity, I rested my chin on my knees and looked out into the dark woods we always seemed to be near. It took what seemed to be hours before Xavier came out in a chipper mood.

“Did you get what you came for?” I asked, not asking for details. Xavier doesn’t like when you ask too much.

“Yes, I got a few trinkets,” he replied, tossing a silver object at me.

I caught it before it could hit the ground, and was hissing when the thing cut my hand. Blood dripped onto the silver compass, smearing it almost to the point of being unreadable. “Sorry, I can clean it,” I muttered, wiping it against my shorts.

“It’s okay.” He took it from me and dropped it into his pocket.

Walking in silence, I continued to wonder why on earth he’d want a compass. Of course, I never did ask him in fear he’d shout at me. He always shouts at me. Ever since we ran into some witches years ago and nearly became cursed, Xavier has been short with me. Was it my fault that the witches’ offer to be released from my imprisonment was so tempting? Xavier just didn’t handle my answer very well.

Whistling, he took my good hand and we walked a couple. The sound of country music filled the air as we made our way through the city and towards our house. We bought a house three years previous and have been living there on and off since then. It’s been rather nice living in a house for a while. People were passing us with smiles as they headed to the concert that was apparently nearby. If it wasn’t country music, I would have asked Xavier if we could go. Right now, I was more curious what he got from the old woman’s house earlier.

As soon as we entered our little brick house, I flipped on the lamp and turned on the television to watch a movie or something. Anything to avoid conversation. He sat next to me and wrapped his arms around my waist in a seemingly sweet way.

“What is the compass for?” I asked, unable to hold my question in any longer.

“To find something.”

By his answer, I knew asking any more questions were no longer an option. The distance between us was obvious. He was keeping so many secrets that only seemed to frustrate me more! I kept my eyes on the moving imaged on the television, but didn’t even pay attention. This distance between us was only the beginning.

If he knew what I was planning, he would have me chained up instantly. As of a week from, I’ll be free. He was clueless that I had been stashing away moment for a year now, and also the fact that I was researching everything I would need. This was a solo act, and no one can be involved in this. I had everything planned perfectly.

He placed his hand on my knee and gave me a kiss randomly. At first I was panicked by this, but then again, he wasn’t exactly one for normal behavior. As his kiss deepened, I was starting to wonder more about his trip to the woman’s house. What did he mean by trinkets? His lips moved to my neck and he began nibbling while I stayed aloof of him. I flinched when I felt him actually bite me.

“Xavier!” I gasped, struggling against his hold.

He pulled away with a tiny bit of my blood on his lips. “I’m sorry. I was just trying something more… kinky?”

“Well, it doesn’t work!” I frowned.

“I figured…” He pressed his lips to mine while his hand went up my leg.