(1) Past

(1) Past

It was the 1920’s, and I simply couldn’t wait to get out there to the newest club that had opened. I stepped in front of the mirror in slight admiration of my new black dress that hung to my knees. I loved dresses, and also the beads that hung around my neck.

After a nice coat of red lipstick, I put on my headband and then headed towards the door.

“Going out tonight, Lucy?” asked my mother, whom I thought was out.

“Yes, Gina and I are heading to the local club. Maybe I’ll find a husband?” I laughed with a slight smile.

Mom smiled back and then placed her hands on either side of my face. “You don’t need to worry so much about finding a husband my dear Lucile. You’re only twenty-one, and that’s hardly the age to worry about this.”

“Beverly married at age nineteen, and so did my other friend Carol…”

She pursed her lips for a moment in thought. “You are beautiful, Lucy. You have to stop putting yourself down. Now have fun tonight and please, be safe out there.” She kissed my forehead before letting me go.

It was true; I had been seeking a husband. Between me and Gina, we had been going to a new club or restaurant in hopes of meeting someone. Beverly, my closest friend, had met her husband at a club and fell in love almost instantly. He was a handsome man with a nice fortune that was enough to pay for the entire wedding, honeymoon, and most likely for any college their future children might attend.

Carol had met her husband at the local ice cream shop because he worked there. He was reasonably handsome—though had little money. They were madly in love, and that was all that matter.

Gina arrived at my house with her finest hat and dress on. Her dark hair was in curls and she wore her white beaded necklace that looked almost identical to mine. We decided to walk to the club instead of driving because it was a lovely night and also her parents needed the car.

The place was full of dancing people, loud music, and cigarette smoke. The music was lively and the band seemed just as excited as the people who were swing dancing. I grinned at Gina at the sight and then we quickly made our way to the bar.

“I’ll take a glass of red wine, please,” I told the bartender.

“Same here,” said Gina with her eyes on the dance floor.

I straightened my beads and headband nervously as I watched the gentlemen in the room either sitting together or dancing. Gina seemed to be more interested in her wine than the group of men that sat in a booth near the back. I, however, had my eyes on them as I sipped my wine.

“Hello,” said a deep voice through the loudness of the crowd.

At first I didn’t turn. I thought that it was obviously not meant for me. But then I looked up into a pair of chocolaty brown eyes with a hint of blue. “Hello,” I replied, my voice sounding slight off at his approach.

“My name is Xavier.” He stuck out a hand, which I quickly took.

“I’m Lucile.”

He smiled. “Do you go by Lucy?”

I nodded.

I began to note everything about his looks. He had very dark hair that was slicked back elegantly, and his face was cleanly shaven. He wore a simple black suit with a tie to match. One thing I did observe was his age. I knew my mother wouldn’t be very happy if I dated an older man. Though he was still quite attractive, he must have been a good six or seven years older than me.