•chapter seventeen•

Chapter Seventeen; To the Test

"Ryuzaki!" I run up to him and wrap him in a bear hug. "It was so lonely..."

"My apologies but we cannot do this right now. He tells me emotionlessly and motions to the screen in front of him.

"Finally, the suspicion has been dispelled and we get to be freed." Light says. Chief Yagami's driving a car with Misa and Light in the backseat.

"No." Chief Yagami replies. "From here on, you two are being taken to an execution chamber. I took it upon myself to transport you prisoners to the execution chamber secretly kept in th basement of the institution."

"Execution chamber?! What are you talking about?" Light asks.

"L has determined that you are Kira and Misa is the second Kira." Chief Yagami explains. "He declared that if you two are executed, then the murders will stop."

"The murders should've already stopped. That's what I was told!"

"No, they are still going. That was probably just L's method to get you to confess. That's not the point." Chief Yagami replies. "L's plan of terminating you two in order to stop the murders was swiftly approved by all the heads of the U.N. and the government. Kira's execution will be kept secret from the public."

"Dad! That's ridiculous! I am not Kira!"

"That's right. What are you thinking?! He's your own son!" Misa yealls

"This is not my decision. It's L's." Chief Yagami explains. "In all investigation affairs, L's decision is absolute. He has solved many different cases in the past and hasn't been wrong once."

"Dad, your going to trust L over me?!" Light is clutching his pants leg.

"L said that if the murders do not stop after this, then he'd take responsibility by taking his own life."

"This isn't like L at all. Up until now, L has always come up with definite proof in all his cases. Is he going to let it end like this!?"

"We're here." Chief Yagami says, pulling into a desserted field.

"Are you planning on letting us go?" Misa asks.

"No one will see anything that happens here." He tells Misa. "I brought you guys here instead of the execution chamber on my own. Light, I'm going to kill you and myself here."

"What are you saying?! That's insane!" Light freaks out.

"Please stop! You're crazy!" Misa panics. "Because your child is Kira, you are going to kill him and then yourself? If you want to die, then just die by yourself!"

"No, it's different from Kira." Chief Yagami replies. "I have a responsibility as a parent and a responsibility as the chief of police. It's a decision the higher ups made. Either way, you are going to be executed. If that is the case, it might as well be by my hands."

Chief Yagami pulls a gun out of his jacket and points it towards Light.

"No no no no no..." I say to myself aloud. "This is murder! Ryuzaki!"

"Calm down Miss Ashley." Aizawa spits at me. "It's not what you think."

"Dad! I am definitely not Kira." Light says with his voice wavering. "Dying right here would be what Kira expects! Don't you understand?"

"Amane. My son and I will die right here, but I have no reason to kill you. The police will eventually find this car, you can be justly executed in the execution chamer." Chief Yagami tells her.