02 | the renewal

"I'd like to place hidden bugs in the homes of Director-General Kitamura and Detective-Superintendent Yagami."

The new investigation team, including L and Watari, sits among the couches in the Imperial Hotel.

"But... In Japan that's an illegal violation of human rights! The task force would be screwed if this gets out!" Matsuda panics.

"Nobody will ever find out. We promise." Ashley speaks on her and L's behalf.

"Ryuzaki... What is the probability of Kira being apart of one of those families?"

"Ten percent." He replies."No... Five percent."

"Just five percent..? Aizawa questions. "Shouldn't it be at least fifty percent to take such an extreme step?"

"No." Chief Yagami bluntly states, a stern look on his face. "Our investigation hasn't shed light on anything close to a suspect yet. Even a probability of one percent is better than what we have now."

Matsuda looks at the chief with concern, "Yes, but with bugs and hidden cameras?! In your home? What about your wife and daughter?"

Troubled, Chief Yagami sits in silence.

"I understand that this is troubling for you and your family, but-"

He suddenly stands up and cuts Ryuzaki off. "I find it extremely galling that my own family has been placed under suspicion. So very well. Go ahead, you have my permission!" Everyone's jaw slackens, leaving their mouths wide with shock before he continues. "If you do this... I insist that you go all the way. I want every inch of the house covered so that nothing is missed!"

Ryuzaki nods. "Thank you. That is exactly what I plan to do."

"S-Sir... Are you sure?" Ashley hesitates, ignoring Ryuzaki's intense glare.

"Yes!" Chief Yagami snaps. "I am fully aware of what this means! Including the fact that it's meaningless if it isn't done thoroughly! Now be quiet... All of you!" He pauses, turning around and takes in what he just did. "I apologize for my outburst..."

The team timidly reassures him that it's okay before Ryuzaki resumes speaking. "As a courtesy to Mr. Yagami, surveillance of his home will be done by him and myself only while the rest of you take turns doing the following— two people watch over the Kitamura house, one mans the NPA office, and the other person will look through the security videos of the day Raye Penber was killed to see if anyone from the Kitamura or Yagami families is pictured. Watari, how long will it take you to get the equipment ready?"

"They can be installed any time tomorrow once we know when nobody is home." Watari replies from the kitchen while preparing a cup of tea for Ryuzaki.

"Perfect. Everyone is dismissed for today."

"Mmm..." Ashley groans, picking her head up from the desk before her. After stretching groggily, she takes a look around. "Where is everyone?"

"After lingering for about an hour or so, everybody went home." Ryuzaki stands at the doorway of the kitchen, leaning against the doorframe with a lollipop. "Before I even realized, you were drooling on the desk."

"Oh..." She glances the the miniature puddle of saliva on the wooden desk. "Sorry." Ashley runs her fingers through her tangled purple hair before putting it up in a ponytail. "Well... Back to work."

"You know that when I said everyone was dismissed that included you, right?"

"You don't talk to me, no less let me know that you're okay, for so many years and you want me gone again?" She huffs and begins getting up. "Alrighty."

"Ashley..." Ryuzaki puts his hand on her shoulder and gently pushes her back into her seat. "We need to discuss this."

"So now you want to talk about it?"

Ryuzaki sighs. "It was a very important case for the Japanese government. For obvious reasons, I can not disclose any information to you; but–"

"What about the next case? And the one after that? And the one after that?" Ashley quakes with anger.

"I got lost in my work."

"No... Really?"

Ryuzaki sighs before walking towards the upset girl. His thin fingers tuck a stray hair behind her ear. "As far as the NPA knows, we've just met. This is a chance to start over."

"L..." She lets her guard down for a moment before putting it back up. "It won't be that easy."

"I had assumed so. If you're willing to make amends, then I shall do the same."

The corners of their lips lift from their previous glowers. Ashley inspects Ryuzaki's face for the first time since they've reunited and places a hand on each of his cheeks.

"It's been so long..." She mutters, her eyes scanning Ryuzaki's face as he does the same. He isn't just black and white. He has a hint of purple in his dark circles, specks of brown in his seemingly black eyes, and a pink tint on his lips (possibly from the lollipop).

"I-"

"E-Excuse me..."

Ashley quickly pulls her hands away and takes a step back. "Matsuda!"

8.11.17
#matsudathecockblocker