Chapter 9

Luke is probably one of the rudest people I've ever met, I think as I walk back to my dorm in the Saturday morning drizzle.

Morningside Heights is one of the reasons I chose Columbia, the campus is absolutely beautiful and it almost feels like a little haven in the center of a crazy, confusing city.

But after walking for nearly 15 minutes in the cold rain in a pair of high heels that aren't mine, I feel about ready to burst into tears. The closer and closer I get to my dorm, the more upset I am about losing track of Emily and Michael and the rest of the people I came with.

I try and think of something to say, but each time I worry that it's too harsh, or too whiny or too childish. By the time I get to the door, I already have a short speech planned out and am running the words over in my head.

But when I open the door and find Emily and Michael lying face up on the small, twin beds, their smiles lazy and what looks like a cigarette in Emily's hand, all my thoughts evaporate from my mind.

"Hi?" I say unsurely, slightly worried as Emily passes what's in her hand to Michael and he takes a long inhale, blowing out towards the open window.

"What are you doing?" I ask nervously, hoping that no one catches them. Getting into Columbia is one of the best things that ever happened to me and to be expelled would be one of the worst.

"Em, what's one of the best ways to get over a weed hangover?" Michael asks dryly with just a hint of humor, stubbing out the end against the windowsill and walking over to the trashcan to brush away the ashes.

"More weed," Emily says, smiling and nearly laughing as she sits back up. My eyes widen, last night was crazy and this morning, maybe equally so.

Emily looks a lot less high that Michael and a part of me desperately wants him to go so I can talk to her. I don't understand anything that's happening.

Michael puts the leftover end of the blunt in his pocket so he can throw it away off campus (thankfully), and leaves our dorm room, rushing out before anyone can see him. When I look at the clock, I'm surprised to see that it's barely 8:30 and put my head in my hands, groaning. It's going to be a long day.

"Where the hell were you last night?" Emily asks, worriedly, and my frustration nearly makes me start crying at her words, everything flooding back. The angry part of me wants to ask her the same question, but I bite my tongue.

"I stayed there for the night," I reply softly, taking off my shoes and lying back against my bed.

"You're kidding right?" she says, her mouth nearly open in surprise. "Did you walk back?" she asks, looking at my slightly damp hair from the rain.

"No, no." I shake my head. "Someone drove me." I don't even want to think about him. Just the thought of him makes me upset. I've never met anyone so cold, or so callous and I hope that I never have to be around him or his parties ever again.

"Who?"

"Luke Hemmings," I say so softly that I can barely hear myself. Emily nearly loses her mind.

"No. Fucking. Way." She moves away from the closet, sitting on top of the bed that's across from me. "How did that happen? Did you...?" Her eyes widen even further.

"You two fucked, didn't you!" She brings her hand to her mouth and my eyes widen, shocked and a little embarrassed. But before I can speak to negate her original 'hypothesis' she goes on.

"You haven't even had a full day here and you're already fucking the richest guy on campus." She looks at me in awe, but I quickly shut her down, nervously motioning for her to be a little quieter.