Chapter 36

don't forget to follow me at iwriteabout5sos.tumblr.com for updates and hints!!!

***

I'm walking briskly to the gates of campus and I can't stop smiling. I can see the reflection of the city lights on a sleek black car waiting patiently at the curb. It's not the silver sportscar Luke drives and in comparison, seems innocuous. But still, it screams money.

The sidewalk is slightly wet with rain and I can't tell if I'm shivering from the cold or from nervous excitement when Luke rolls down the window, just like in the movies.

"Hey."

His voice is so deep I can practically feel it rumbling in the cheap high heels I splurged on at Goodwill.

I can't stop smiling like a damn idiot.

"Hi, yourself."

Luke opens the door and steps out to hold it open for me. I slide in, clumsily albeit, and take in my surroundings for a few minutes, wondering what to say and looking at the luxurious cream interior and the bottle of champagne sitting innocently on the center panel.

"Champagne?"

Luke closes the door and indifferently lifts up the bottle, like it's nothing.

"Um, yeah, Veuve Cliquot...Do you want some?"

I feel a little embarassed - to most of the people Luke knows, Veuve Cliquot means something. I have no idea. "No, I'm alright."

"It's okay, the car service put one in as a gratuity since it's a special event. Not my favorite, but you can have some."

"Really, I'm okay."

"Well, if you change your mind there'll be plenty of champagne at the benefit."

"Benefit? I thought this is just a get-together?"

Luke adjusts his cufflinks. "Well, it is a get-together."

I can feel my palms start to sweat. "No, Luke, a benefit sounds different from a get-together."

"It won't be as crazy as my parties. It's a bit stuffy, yeah, but it's a philanthropic event. Nothing harder than scotch, I promise."

"I'm not worried about it being crazy, Luke. I'm worried about being underdressed."

Luke reaches out and pushes a strand of hair behind my ear. "Underdressed? What are you talking about? You look gorgeous."

I look down at the dress I was so proud of that now looks ratty compared to what everyone else must be wearing. I'm too ashamed to tell him I only bought it for $6.

Luke quickly looks out the window. "We're here." He cups his hand underneath my chin and presses a quick, reassuring kiss to my lips. It only adds love-sick butterflies to the mix of nervous butterflies that are already in my stomach.

"You look fine, don't worry so much, okay?"

"Okay," I lie, trying not to freak out.

"30 minutes tops."

I nod nervously, trying to reassure myself as well.

Before I know it, Luke opens the door and a flurry of camera flashes pour into the car. I have to practically shield my face to stop from behind blinded.

When I look up, Luke's standing outside the car and his hand is outstretched. People say that in moments like these, time slows down, but that's a lie. It speeds up. My heart is racing and I feel like a deer in headlights.