Spoilt for choice.

For the last few years I have been dating Tony Bennett off and on, we haven’t really made it official but I haven’t dated other people either. I wasn’t sure why we haven’t made it official I guess we were just happy with the way things were going. Making it official just added unwanted pressure and we were fine the way we were, I did however know that I didn’t want anyone else.

I couldn’t provide him with much and I think that is what held me back a little, Tony deserved the world and I was constantly broke. I worked hard as a fireman but the wages were not great and I could barely afford my mortgage and car let alone giving Tony the world.

I know that I can give him more love than anyone else can because we know all of each other’s faults and we are still together. I love him and I have been working extra shifts lately so that I can ask him to move in with me. Tony works too but he is a mature student so only works part time, he lives in a small dingy flat and I want to be able to support him.

He has no idea what I am planning and so he has been upset with me lately because I am spending a lot of time at work. I don’t want to hurt him but I think it will be worth it in the end when he can say goodbye to that flat for good.

I have decided to spare a few hours and a small bit of my savings to take him out for something to eat tonight, it’s not his fault if he doesn’t know the truth. He is not being petulant he just wants to see me and I feel flattered by that, maybe I could even tell him the truth tonight and we could make this official at last.

I looked around me at all of my team mates lounging around the room waiting for a call out, Pete was in the corner on the stove cooking us all lunch and David was handing out drinks. They were all like brothers to me but we had to have that kind of bond because we put our lives in each other’s hands on every job.

I was in a world of my own thinking about it when my closest team mate Danny sat beside me and clicked his fingers in my face effectively pulling me out of my trance. He looked a bit concerned as he sat and watched me until I smiled in reassurance, I was tired there was nothing else wrong in fact life was good right now.

“Hey Carter, you have been sitting in a trance like that for over a week what’s up?” He asked.

“Just tired mate it’s all of the extra shifts I am doing.” I smiled.

“Well he better bloody appreciate all the work you have put into this surprise for him!” He grumbled.

“He will. You know Tony he isn’t spoilt he just misses me that’s all.” I replied.

“Well if he doesn’t kiss your feet for this I am going to smack him one.” He chuckled now.

“You’ll have to get through me first.” I playfully nudged him and he rolled his eyes. “I think I am going to go call him, keep me some grub.”

He slapped me on the back as I stood up to leave the rec room and find somewhere more private to call Tony. I walked into another room pulling out my phone as I walked and hitting speed dial, Tony’s face showing on the screen as it called through.

“Hey Carter.” He sounded tired.

“Hey babe, you sound tired rough night?” I asked.

“Yeah there was a fight at the bar and three people puked everywhere it was vile.” He yawned.

“Look I am going to let you get some sleep it’s only ten am but I just wanted to apologise for not being around lately. I have a surprise for you and I was wondering if you wanted to meet up tonight?”

“I can’t I am sorry. I am meeting someone else tonight, it’s a long story but he is called Hugo and I promised I would go for a drink with him.” He said.