Until we meet again

I was twenty two when I met Noah and his husband Eddie. I had never met such an intense couple, they worshiped each other and despite the usual difficulties in life they never let anything bring them down. I was a roadie for the band that Noah was in and Eddie was his agent, I was in awe of their strong bond and how they coped being apart from each other for weeks at a time.

Eddie supported Noah in his career and made sure that no one took advantage of his happy go lucky nature and watching from afar I could only hope I met a partner in life that would love me just as much. Around a year after I joined the team we were in Germany preparing for the show that would be starting in two hours’ time.

Noah had an amazing voice and I would find myself standing by Eddie at the side of the stage getting lost in the deep rustic tones of his voice as he sang out his songs. Each and every word was directed at Eddie and Noah would tell the crowd that at the end of every set, it was so romantic and I loved them for being so openly in love.

Noah had taken me under his wing when I started and because he favoured me I got to spend a lot of time with him while everyone else was busy setting up or packing stuff away. He told me about when they had met and how they had fallen in love, he told me about their families and how accepting they had been which had made it so much easier. He told me about holidays that they had gone on and silly dates where Eddie had spoiled Noah rotten. He told me about their wedding day and the moment when he finally got to say ‘I do’ and how it was the happiest moment of his entire life. He told me about their plans for children once his career began to dwindle and he told me they had even begun to think about names.

The more I heard the more I wanted it, I could never be jealous but I was certainly in awe and he promised me that one day I would have it all just like them. I asked him if there had ever been a moment when he had stopped to make sure he was making the right decisions and he shook his head smiling. He told me that it wasn’t possible to doubt Eddie because he was perfect and that no one else would ever be able to replace the joy and love that he feels when he is with him.

I cried at that, they were so in love that my words just seem inadequate trying to relay back to you the absolute passion between those two men. So as I am standing by the side of the stage in Germany, Eddie is right beside me and Noah is on the stage singing his latest hit. I look to Eddie and he looks different, he has tears in his eyes as he watches the man he loves serenade him and he looks like he just wants to run to him.

Eddie was always so happy and I knew that he loved Noah’s songs but I had never seen him cry once. I remember thinking that maybe it was because he was leaving tomorrow as he needed to be back in England for a few weeks and we were moving on to France for the next concert. It wasn’t surprising to me that he would be upset, he would miss Noah there was no doubt about it but I was sure they would talk everyday like they normally do when they were apart.

So the next day as planned Eddie said his goodbyes to his husband and he departed for England while we jumped on the bus to start the journey to France. Noah was a little sad but he was constantly on his phone and I believed he would be texting Eddie every chance that he got which made me smile. By the following show Noah had pulled himself together and he performed brilliantly as usual and once again dedicated every song to the man that he loves.

I think that his fans were just as amazed as I was for the insurmountable amount of love that Noah showed for Eddie, it truly was breath taking. I have known love, I have seen love my parents were married for over forty years, my grandparents for seventy but nothing I have ever seen before matched the way those two looked into each other’s eyes.

It also astounded me how brave Eddie was to let his husband go off alone and be surrounded by adoring fans without batting an eyelid. He was always so trusting and happy for Noah and he never once said anything selfish or asked Noah to quit and come home. He was quite happy to live in his shadow and feed off the happiness he received at watching Noah do the job he was born to do.