The City

“That’s it gentleman you are now officially divorced, congratulations.” Lee’s Lawyer smiled at him.

Congratulations? If it was a celebration then why do I feel like I am dying inside? My marriage is officially over and I can see the happiness on Lee’s face as his lawyer shakes his hand. I focused on drawing energy from all over my tired body pulling it into my heart to stop it breaking. I only agreed to this because I still love him despite everything that he has done to me, I didn’t want to torture him by forcing him to stay with me when he clearly didn’t love me anymore.

I almost lost my balance from the effort of trying not to break in front of them and when I looked up and caught his eye I could see the pity in them. I didn’t want his pity, I wanted him to love me still. I wanted us to go back to the beginning when we first met and he couldn’t keep his hands off me. Now he had his man whore Trevor to touch and I had been cast aside like a soiled rag.

His gaze drifted away from me as quickly as it had come and I turned and walked out of the room as sounds of their laughter reached my ears. Another nail in my heart but I wouldn’t let them see me break, no I would wait until I was alone for that.

I sat on the bus wishing it would get me home quickly, I didn’t dare listen to music in case it sent me over the edge. No one sat next to me or tried to engage in conversation with me for which I was grateful, but I probably didn’t look very approachable now anyway.

When it pulled up to my stop I jumped down and mumbled my thanks to the driver, then I walked straight into my mum’s house and up to my old room. Pathetic aren’t I? Thirty seven years old, divorced and living with my mum again, this just couldn’t go on. It has been eight months since I caught him with Trevor and I foolishly expected him to beg me for forgiveness but instead he asked me for a divorce, told me he loved Trevor more than me.

I hate that name, Trevor. It’s shit.

Ok now I am just being petty but I deserve to be. That man stole the love of my life, my childhood sweetheart and my best friend all in one go. He forced me to move in with my mum and he is forcing me to leave my home town, I can’t stay here I have to leave. I need a new start.

I lay on my bed thinking of this when a gentle knock sounded on my door, groaning I climbed up to open it. I really loved my mum, she is still cool despite her age and she spoils me rotten but I just don’t want to live at home. As I opened the door I tried to plaster a fake smile onto my face and greeted her, I must not have been doing a very good job though because her eyes filled with tears and she stroked my cheek in comfort.

Knowing what she was after I stood aside to let her enter and she moved and sat on my bed, I joined her and she asked me what had happened. Taking a moment to compose myself I relayed back the day’s events right up until the lawyer said congratulations.

“Oh my baby boy I am so sorry. If I ever see that good for nothing prick again I will rip his manly bits off.” She cooed.

“I love him so much mum.” I couldn’t help it and finally broke.

“I know you do sweetheart, come here.” She pulled me into a hug and I just sat and cried.

Yeah a very manly experience for me, but unless someone that you love stops loving you back you have no right to judge me. My mother watched us grow up together, she was front row when I married and she was present as we sipped wine and talked about what we would name our children. She understood me and she was feeling some of my pain as she had loved Lee too.

“Do you really have to move so far away though Craig? Fox Island is so hard to get to, I mean I know you’re technically in the same state but really Craig Fox Island?” She was begging again.