Chapter Forty Eight

"We've got two individuals, a male and a female, both on cocaine; the female currently overdosed on alprazolam-"

"It's not cocaine, we both snorted Xanax-"

"Her heartbeat is steady at the moment but she is still unconscious. Fever is at 104.5 degrees Fahrenheit, shallow breathing, with a BP of ninety-one over fifty-two."

The paramedic turns his head to look at Harry.

"It was cocaine, Mr. Styles. Look at the size of your pupils. Benzodiazepines do not affect the size of your pupils."

I hear a sigh coming from Harry. It kills me to not be able to touch or see him.

I'm here, Harry. Just semi-conscious. Not enough to speak, or move, but enough to hear you. I'm sorry I lied about the cocaine. I love you, I try to say. No words come out. I'm sorry.

"It's seriously cocaine?" He asks. I hear a clunk and everything smash, but I can't feel anything. It's like my body doesn't exist, like I'm floating in the darkness.

"Yes," the male voice sighs. "Do you know how much she ingested?"

"Not exactly," Harry says lowly, voice paced. "She, uh, she had the prescription bottle on the table when I walked in. She said she took a gram and a half but I know she did a lot more after that. Of, uh, Xanax, I mean."

"How much more?"

He raises his shoulders. "I don't know. She finished off the bottle."

"Prescription alprazolam is usually .25mg. Do you know if that was how much she took?"

"Yeah, she said that. They're .25."

"And cocaine? What about that?"

He shakes his head and sighs. "I mean, she took out a small baggy before we went to bed, but I didn't think it was cocaine-"

"I'm not judging you. This is all confidential, especially with your, uhm, fame," the male says. "Just make sure you tell us everything so we can do the best we can in order to reverse the effects of the overdose."

"There were five lines, I did two, and she did the rest. They were big lines. I mean, I couldn't even finish the second one in one hit. Then she just doped out on me fifteen minutes later while we were making out. She just stopped and I noticed her breathing went wonky and then her heart stopped and I didn't know what to do and-"

"Okay, relax. It's okay. She's not going to die, she just might be in a bit of a coma for a day or two until her body recovers. We're going to give her a shot of epinephrine to boost her heart rate and blood pressure, which should hopefully strengthen her breathing as well."

"Is there going to be any permanent damage?" Harry's voice is quiet and scared. The ambulance quakes again as the sirens turn on, everything shaking.

God, that's so loud. Turn it off.

"Unlikely, but still possible."

"How possible?" Harry's teeth chatter loudly, accent contrasting that of the male paramedic's.

"Mr. Styles-"

"Harry," he corrects.

"Harry, she's going to be fine. You're just paranoid because you're coming down off cocaine."

"I'm paranoid!" Harry yells maniacally. "She has 5 grams of Xanax and a gram of cocaine in her system, and I'm being paranoid?! You can't blame me for assuming the worst!"

The paramedic sighs through the blaring sirens.

"Not to blame you, but you were with her. Did you not realize she was downing uncanny amounts of drugs?"