CHAPTER 9

• Dedicated to JOY

 Raven’s POV

I really didn’t think I would ever have to come back here. This whole house is filled with bad memories. But this time it’s not for me or for him. It’s for her sake. She deserved that much.  Walking up the marble steps, I could hear the commotion even before entering the house. Taking a deep breathe I open the doors to the main hall.

Everything was in utter chaos. The police were everywhere dusting for prints and questioning everyone. Amidst the mess I saw my mom sitting on the couch with a bag of ice to her head. I walk to her and drop my overnight bag by the couch before going to her and touching her shoulder.

She looked up and just as I thought her eyes were all red and blotchy because crying. She sees me and hugs me and another wave of tears hit her. I had lost count of times I had seen my mom crying. But it was always Ana who took care of her, she took care of everyone but herself. I hug my mom back and whisper in to her ears, “It’s gonna be ok  mom. I’m here now don’t worry. I won’t let anything happen to her; I promise. I’m gonna get her back.” I feel my mom nod but she couldn’t stop crying. I let her go and turn to take of my coat and push the sleeves up to my elbows.

“WHO IS INCHARGE HERE?” I shout at the different kinds of cops. One of them steps forward, “I am and who the hell are you?” he asks me all annoyed. I smile sweetly at the officer and say, “I am Agent Raven Devon of the FBI. And as of this moment I am in charge.” Showing him my badge.

The door bell rang and I went to answer it. It was my team. They were the best there was. All highly trained and highly recommended. There was Helen Carter and my very good friend and partner Josh Bilks. And the new kid Andrew Simms. The four of us were assigned to hunt down an international gang of assassins.

Trouble was we didn’t really know what they looked like and the only way we can tell its them is because they use the same method of killing every time. A simple bullet to the head was their MO. They didn’t do kidnapping and no robberies bombs were a specialty to them,other than killing for money. But they were highly trained operatives with possible military experience. They were precise and deadly. No witnesses of course. It was almost like they didn’t exist. But people important people turned up dead every now and then. And even though we would catch the one who hired them its no use as they have never met face to face. And without them we can’t really charge the person who hired them.  It was a mess I know but I never claimed it to be a walk in the park. Besides what’s life with out a little challenge. Their latest hit was a nuclear scientist Professor McCarthy. I know its them because he left a disposable cell phone and the gun in a near by dumpster for me. He knew I was after him and he liked rubbing it in that I missed him again.

And now my sister is kidnapped. Helen and Andrew carried in some of the equipment and Josh walked in last. “How you holding up?” he asked as he passed me. I could only smile at him. “What do you think?”  He was a good friend but didn’t know everything about my sordid past. Though he knew bits and parts of it. He knew what my sister meant to me, since she and mom were the only ones who ever called me.

He looks at me and says, “So what do we know?” walking inside. I update him to our situation. There really wasn’t much to work on.

 Ana was kidnapped from inside of the compound grounds and it was fast, her bodyguards were shot with tranquilizers knocking them out instantly. The cameras on the wall caught the two figures in security guard uniforms and carrying Ana into a delivery van. I had them run a trace on the van but I didn’t have any hope from that. He bodyguards were shot from a distance of 200 feet; meaning they had a sniper somewhere around. They also had someone driving the van so total number of perpetuator comes to 4. All of this was done under 5 minutes meaning they were planning this for some time and they were probably scouting the area before coming for her.

There has been no ransom demand nor any contact with the kidnappers. Its been more than 24 hours now. The chances of getting the victim back alive after the first 48 hours lower to 50%. And it was really bugging me that they hadn’t tried to make any sort of contact with us yet.

My brothers had arrived were all in the living room waiting for any news on Ana. I must say I was surprised when I saw them. They all looked so different. Good but different, not as I remember them. Harry was all business suits and looking immaculate. Dickey was in a jeans and T. Brandon was the funniest of them all. I almost didn’t recognize him with his hair all long and below his shoulders and that beard. He was a sight, something Ana would have had a field day teasing him about.

Mom was resting upstairs and all our old rooms had been cleaned up by Rosa so all we had to do was change and get to work. “Anything?” I asked Andrew who like everyone else was waiting for the damn phone to ring. He shook his head and I felt my heart sink even lower.

“It just doesn’t make any sense.” I complain as I have dinner with my brothers. Rosa as usual convinced us that starving wasn’t gonna help anyone and especially not Ana. I jabed my fork into the vegetable and stuff it in. “If its not for money then why kidnap her in the first place? She has no enemies. Everyone who knows her loves her, well almost everyone.” I correct myself thinking about my drunk father who still hasn’t woken up. It was no secret that Ana had a lot of money. Her inheritance and then there were the shares that Harry keeps aside for her in all his companies.

Money was the only thing I could think of as the motive of this kidnapping.

“Unless of course its not her they want to hurt but someone else through her.” Harry whispers.