CHAPTER 4

“WELL DONE BOYS!! WELL DONE.” The voice from the speaker crackled. “ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL MISSION. YOU HAVE MADE ME PROUD. THIS AND THE BOMBING IN  AFRICAN CONSULATE HAS MADE OUR POSITION AS THE WORLD ‘S BEST KILLING TEAM FOR HIRE  PERMANENT.”

 I look at each of my brothers, they were all standing around the table and like me listening to the voice of father.  “I am glad we have done you proud father. We learned from the best.” I say and look at my brothers and grin. Flattery was never my strong suit but throw me a RDX bomb or a grenade anyday.

Finally Brian asks him, “ father, you still haven’t told us why you called this meeting.” “Yes, yes I was getting to that. WELL MY BOYS I HAVE ANOTHER TASK FOR YOU. BRIAN, PLEASE THE FILES ON THE DESK.” Brian turns and brings us these files and hands them to us.

 I open mine and am greeted by the photo of a very pretty girl, probably 20. I couldn’t seem to understand why I was feeling a little winded all of a sudden. Then I hear Jack whistle slowly  as he looks at the photos of the same girl but they were different than what I had in my file.

 Father’s  voice crackles to life again and he said, “ THE REASON I CALLED YOU BACK FROM YOUR ENJOYMENTS IS THIS GIRL. THE CLIENT WAS QUITE DESPERATE TO  HAVE THIS GIRL KILLED BUT HE WANTS IT TO BE DONE HIS WAY. MEANING A SIMPLE BULLET IN HER HEAD WILL NOT WORK. HER NAME IS ANA GRACE DEVON. I HAVE PROVIDED YOU WITH ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED THIS YOUNG LADY.”  So Jack finally asks what it is that the client wants us to do. “KIDNAP HER.”

Did he just say ‘kidnap her’ I ask Joey with a puzzled look on my face. Joey nods yes. I find my voice and, “ father, we don’t do kidnapping.” “WELL THERE’S ALWAYS A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING AND THIS WILL SOMETHING NEW AND INTERESTING.” The next question is how much the ransom should be. Brian was already on his computer, clicking away. The next thing you know he shows me Ana’s financials. Wow the girl is rich. I was scanning through the paper when, “I HAVE ANOTHER BIT OF INTERESTING NEWS, BOYS. THE GIRL IS THE LITTLE SISTER TO AGENT DEVON, OUR OLD FRIEND.” Father laughs and I saw what he had meant by this assignment being fun.

If she was indeed Agent Devon’s little sister then fatherwas right this assignment just got a whole lot more fun.

Agent Devon is one of FBI’s finest. The sole purpose of him and his team of agents is to  track us down. Like that will ever happen. But it did make the games more interesting. We loved rubbing it in his nose that he missed us again.

 This was why I had left the disposable phone with the gun. It added a bit of color to our boring lives. “We’ll take the assignment, father. But looking at her financials I don’t think any amount of money would be too much for her and her family to pay. We’ll just have to let her go and then what’s the point of the whole thing?”

“AH! DAVID, THE SMARTEST OF MY SONS, WE ARE NOT GOING TO RETURN HER TO THEM. WE ARE TO KILL HER. THAT’S WHAT THE CLIENT REQUESTS

HE SAYS WE CAN KEEP WHATEVER RANSOM WE GET FROM THE KIDNAPPING BUT THE GIRL MUST DIE.” I don’t know why but I didn’t like that, it wasn’t fair to her family. Wait what? Since when did I give a damn about the targets or their families? Not good. Maybe its just jet lag.

I turn to see Ana’s photograph on the big screen. She was smiling and looked happy, Jack was right she is a looker. Too bad I’m gonna have to kill her. I sigh and turn to the guys, “Alright guys, you know the drill, get everything you can about her and her family I want to know her entire schedule by tomorrow. Brian, the ransom, figure out a sum that would do for us to take a long vacation but that isn’t too easy for them. Jack get her daily schedule, I want to know what she does when she does it. Frank we’ll need something to bring her here in, nothing too conspicuous. A getaway van and then two others waiting for us different locations. Joey we need to make room for Miss Ana. Go and get whatever you need but don’t…”

 “Yeah yeah I know David, don’t buy everything from one place. This isn’t my first time you know.” He says grinning as he turns to leave. And I can’t help but smile either. We were all the same age but ever since we were kids I was the one who took the blame for all their mistakes and Joey was the one who made most of them. It kind of made him the baby of the group.

I turn to see Brian smiling at him too. “So how do you want to this?” he asks. “How about we make it a little fun? And give Agent Devon something to keep him busy for a while? A small bomb threat somewhere should be good enough I suppose.”  I smile thinking about the look on his face when he realizes that he had been led on a wild goose chase and all the while his very own sister was the intended target. “Get to work. I am gonna take a shower and get some sleep. Wake me up when Joey is back, ok?” I say to him.

Walking to my room or should I say my part of the underground cave, I decided to take a quick shower and help Joey. We did have our work cut out for us with this assignment. Its not that we haven’t kidnapped before its just that the last time we did it was such a  damn nuisance that we decided not to bother with it again and just stick to the bombings and assassinations. They were easier and a lot less nerve grating. I had to go scouting again. Damn you would think being assassins and all would give us some free time to do what we want.

I was in the shower by this time. As I lather my body, an image of Ana smiling at me just flashed in my brain. What the f@#k? Why am I having flashes of this chick? I look down my body and see the criss crossing  array of scars and smiled to myself, there is no way any girl would want this unless she is paid to. Time to visit Cherry again. She didn’t make anything of my scars, didn’t ask unnecessary question. That’s why I prefer her. We can all have our choice in woman thanks to our faces. But father had scared us for life he sometimes got carried away during punishments.

Time to work. Joey should be back with the supplies by now.