Chapter 1 - The Engagement

Sofia picked up her phone and saw that Luke was calling her. She grinned and answered. Luke started talking before she even said hello.

"Hey babe, I'm just calling to check up on you. Are we still on for this arvo?" His voice sounded a little worried.

"Of course we are! I wouldn't miss it for the world!" Sofia could hear the relief in his tone as he answered.

"Good. I'll pick you up in an hour. See ya soon." And with that he hung up.

Sofia laughed. Why was Luke so nervous? He usually called before the date, but this time he sounded... anxious. She shrugged it off and opened her closet. She flicked through her dresses until she found a deep blue dress that matched her eyes. It was tight around her chest and the front went down to her knees and got a little longer down the sides until it was down to her ankles at the back. She grabbed some matching blue sandals and slipped them on.

Sofia went to the mirror and brushed her silky black hair. When she was done, it reached just below her shoulders. She put on some mascara making her deep blue eyes pop. She put on her heart necklace and matching earrings that Luke had given her for her birthday last month. Looking at the time, she grabbed her handbag and phone and walked into the lounge-room.

She checked the time again. 5:58. She sighed, knowing that Luke was probably waiting to knock on her door at exactly 6:00. She went to the door and peered through the key-hole. She grinned when she saw Luke looking at his watch anxiously. She checked the clock on the wall and saw that it was 10 seconds till 6. She counted down and, sure enough, as soon as it was 6:00, Luke knocked.

Sofia threw the door open and greeted Luke with a kiss. Luke was taken by surprise, but kissed her back.

"That was the nicest welcome I've ever had."

Sofia grinned, "I wanted to make you feel special."

"Well it definately worked." Luke grinned and offered Sofia his hand. Sofia took it and locked the door behind her.

"Where are we going tonight?" Luke was acting strangely and Sofia was curious. He looked as though he was about to have the best night of his life.

"It's a surprise. Come on, the taxi is waiting!"

**********************

The taxi was actually a limo and the surprise was actually a series of surprises. Luke spoiled Sofia with gifts and a fancy resteraunt. Sofia didn't stop saying thank you the whole night.

After dinner, Luke took Sofia for a romantic walk along the beach. The stars were out and the water was sparkling. Sofia put her head on Luke's shoulder as they walked along with the sand between their toes.

"I've had the best night tonight." Luke grinned as Sofia whispered that.

"I knew you would. But the nights not over yet!" Sofia frowned at him. What does he mean? It was almost 11 and he had spoiled her so much already.

"Luke. Why are you acting so wierd? You've been spoiling me all night, but there is no special occasion. I'm enjoying tonight very much, but please tell me what the occasion is." Sofia repeated the words she had been saying all night but Luke had never answered.

"I wanted to make this night the best night of your life. And that meant spoiling you rotten!" He picked her up and swung her around. He put her down and kissed her.

Sofia laughed, "That still doesn't explain why!"

Luke grinned and went down on one knee. Suddenly, everything clicked into place. Luke was proposing to her! That's why tonight was so special. Sofia's eyes lit up as Luke started talking.

"Sofia. Ever since I met you, I wanted to know more. You were so beautiful, but you looked sad. I made it my mission to know you." Luke paused and reached into his pocket. "I love you Sofia, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you"

He pulled out a little black box and opened it to reveal a simple silver ring with a heart on it.

"Sofia Hart, will you marry me?"

Sofia felt like her heart would melt. She squealed, "Yes, yes, yes!"

Luke stood up and she leaped into his arms. Luke laughed and kissed her. Sofia knew that from this moment on, her life would get better.