Chapter 1

A/N: Woo let's see how this goes!  I really hope you enjoy it(: Leave a vote and a comment at the end :D if you want that is ;)

~*~*~   

      Yawning, I stretched my hands back, trying my best to look attentive at Dani as she rambled on and on about this one guy who sat in the back corner of her math class.  Don’t get me wrong; I absolutely loved Dani.  How could I not?  She was my best friend ever since we were barely four, but sometimes this girl’s motor-mouth could drive the world crazy.

            “And it was so gross!”  Dani exclaimed before noticing my somewhat dismal expression that was a cross between complete and utter boredom and a failing attempt to seem interested.  Suddenly, she narrowed her eyes before letting out a huge sigh of frustration.  “I can’t be that boring.”

            “You aren’t.”  I stifled a yawn in my hand before sleepily saying, “I’m just really, really tired.”

            Looking at me skeptically, she asked desperately, “Was anyone paying attention?”  Her sky blue eyes met contact with nearly everyone at the table except one person—Violet Glen.  Then again, it was nearly impossible to make eye contact with Violet.

            Violet, as usual, had her head buried deep within a book and barely even looked up to acknowledge the fact that Dani had just asked a somewhat crucial question.  At sixteen and a sophomore, Violet was the youngest of our group and yet somewhat key to being the stabilizer as well as the most mature—ironically.  Her shoulder length, curly, brown hair and her matching brown eyes often made her look older than she actually was.

            Next to Violet were the twins Cole and Skylar—both juniors at seventeen.  Cole had a quiet and solemn disposition despite the fact that his twin, Skylar, was probably the liveliest person alive. They both would look nearly identical if not for the fact that Cole was a boy whereas Skylar was a girl.  Skylar looked up from her phone, brushing her blonde hair away from her face, and shot Dani a meek and apologetic smile before excusing herself to take a call.  Cole merely kept his poker face--a look that would become quite his trademark—and shrugged.

            Finally, there was Trent who was the same age as both Dani and I—eighteen and a senior.  At around six foot, he was both the tallest and namely the most athletic out of us all.  His dirty blonde hair often put him in the stereotypical category of “blonde” but I can testify that Trent is anything but.  Putting on a noticeably fake, attentive nod, he said sagely, “Oh yes, I agree with Dani-The-Wise-One.”

            Dani frowned, ignoring Trent, before sinking back into her blue plastic chair.  Listlessly, she picked at her spaghetti with her fork for several long seconds before giving me a long, pleading look that I knew so well.  Sighing, I motioned for her to go on with her story, even though I was sure that no one was listening.  “Anyways, as I was saying, what do you guys think of Justin?”

            “I feel like you are super judgmental,” I said with frankness evident in my voice.  Turning away from her, I set my head down on my arms and let my black hair fall over my face, ignoring the fact that the lunch table probably hasn’t been washed since last year.  To put it truthfully, today was just one of my off days.  It was, after all, the second day back from summer vacation, and I was already looking forward to the next one.

            Yes.  I, Cadrian Tinker, do have off days, believe it or not.

            “Oh c’mon, Cadrian!  Everyone is judgmental,” Dani laughed, wrapping her arms around me in a sloppy embrace.  Struggling out from it, I stared defiantly at her.