Chapter 11

Author's Note:

People: What?!  She actually updated? 

Me: heh yah :3

Enjoy!  Sorry if it's a bit rusty... I haven't written over a year.

~*~*~

            Violet was backed up against the locker surrounded by a group of girls that looked vaguely familiar.  All around her was ripped up sheets of paper—all of which looked like homework assignments, and I felt anger surge in me.  Her brown eyes were wide in either defiance or fear—I couldn’t tell.  Either way, it didn’t stop me from pushing through the crowd right behind the girl who had told Violet she “wasn’t their kind”.

            “So, what’s up with you and my boyfriend,” the same girl repeated, anger seeping through her voice. 

            “So, what’s up with you and bothering my best friend,” I said loudly pushing myself through the group and standing in front of Violet.  I stared in fury at the girl who seemed like the spokesperson for the group.  Her green eyes flashed with annoyance at the sight of me; her long, black hair streamed around her face, accentuating her cheekbones and giving her the aura of someone evil.  The sad part is that she was stunningly beautiful.

            “Why don’t you ask your best friend what’s going on?  That’s what we’re all trying to figure out,” she spat out at me.  “Why don’t you ask her why she texts and calls my boyfriend so much?  Or why my boyfriend won’t tell me anything about any of—“

            “Calm—“ I attempted before she cut me off.

            “Calm?” she snarled, taking a step closer, staring me down.  “This lying piece of—“

            “Rachel?” A startling familiar voice echoed from behind the girl’s shoulder.  “What’s going on?”

            My mouth practically fell open when I saw a familiar tussle of black hair pop up from behind Rachel.  Rachel, equally stunned, turned around and stared at none other than Ashton.  But her surprise quickly turned to one of rage.  She slapped the hand that he had placed on her shoulder away and turned back to me.  “This is her, isn’t it?” she pointed an accusing finger at Violet.  “This stupid—“

            “So Ashton,” I interrupted, clenching my hands.  “Care to explain why your friend here is bullying Violet?”  My eyes stared straight into Ashton’s but he lowered his head avoiding eye contact.  “Well?”  I prodded.

            He suddenly stared up at me with a blank look in his eyes as if he didn’t recognize me at all.  “I don’t know who you are, but you’re really bothering my girlfriend, and no one messes with her and gets away with it.”  The previously friendly and somewhat melancholy eyes were gone, only to be replaced by a void of emptiness that made me sick to my stomach.

            “Ashton,” Rachel said, blushing and grabbing his hand back.  “But that still doesn’t explain why this… girl… texts you so much.”  She suddenly snatched her hand back as if remembering why she was mad in the first place.  She took a step closer, and I expected Ashton to at least halt her approach, but he just stared on as if he didn’t recognize either of us.

            “So, what’s the deal?” Rachel sneered, her eyes focusing on Violet who stayed behind me the entire time.  Violet timidly peeked out from behind before opening her mouth.  Nothing came out.  Protectively, I grabbed her hand and squeezed it tight, grinding my teeth in anger.