Chapter 10: The Truth

"The truth will set you free."

*Paislee’s Point of View*

I walked over to the drink table with Nikki. I was so uncomfortable here. I had a bad feeling about this. “Oh, look who it is the town slut.” I heard a familiar voice. “Oh look Pay, its Jamie. I knew I smelled fish.” Nikki turned around. “Funny Nikkole. I was thinking the same about you. So who is this new guy you’re hanging around Paislee? Your new boyfriend? Are you going to kill him too?” Jamie was trying to piss me off. I just turned to face her and stayed quiet. “Leave her alone Jamie!” Nikki warned. “What are you going to do Nikkole? Are you going to cheat on Ryder and have Paislee kill him while you’re making out with Paislee’s boyfriend in the back seat again?” she brought up the night of the accident. “What Paislee? Did that offend you, does that piss you off?” she was getting into my face. “Jamie, I’m warning you. I would knock it off if I were you.” Nikki tried to push her away from me. “Oh really? What’s she going to do?” “Jamie if you don’t knock your shit off, I’m going to knock your teeth in.” I finally spoke up. “That’s a shock. You’re all talk. That’s why Wyatt cheated on you with me, Ali, and hey even your bestie Nikkole here.” She kept going and I punched her in the face. I lost all control. Ryder and Hunter came running over to us. “You should learn to shut up Jamie! You don’t know anything about what happened that night!” I yelled and Hunter pulled me away from her.

Hunter, Nikkole, Ryder, and I went to the creek to settle down before we all went home. We all sat by the water and it was quiet at first. “Nikki told me that you slept with Zee when you were 15 and he was 16.” Ryder spoke up. “Yeah, I did.” I sighed. “I have one question about that. You were with Wyatt from the time you were 14 to when you were 17. Did you cheat on Wyatt?” “No, I didn’t.  We were broken up, when it happened. Briefly, but we were.” I cleared that up for Ryder or in other worlds Nikki. I doubt that Ryder cared if I cheated on Wyatt or not, but I know that Nikki would. “I can’t believe that she brought up that night.” Nikki shook her head. “I know. I didn’t think anyone would bring it up like that ever again.” I agreed. I felt the same way she was feeling about that.

“I just wish that she knew what the hell she was even talking about.” Ryder sighed. “Ryder stop.” I knew where he was getting at. “You have to tell the truth. You have to tell everyone.” “NO! I will not let them destroy Nikki like they destroyed me! I will protect her and I will protect Zee!” I freaked out. “Wait, tell the truth about what? The accident?” Hunter asked and I nodded. I took a deep breath and told Hunter everything.

Ryder and I got home and Dad was waiting in the living room. “Where were you tonight?” he asked. “Dad, I’m 23 years old.” Ryder spoke up first. “I was not talking to you. I don’t care where you go or what you do. You’re responsible enough for me to trust you. She’s not. Paislee-Jay Kaydence where were you tonight and don’t lie to me!” my dad asked. “I went and hung out with Hunter and then I went to a party. Why would you care?” I spoke up next. “Because I heard that you were drinking and you picked a fight with Jamie Kype.” “What?! I don’t drink, I didn’t drink and I did punch her because she picked a fight with me!” I was mad. “And why should I believe you?!” “Dad, she’s telling the truth. I was there. I saw the whole thing. She was protecting Nikkole and Zee’s name.” Ryder interjected. “Oh, now you care about protecting Zee! Why is that?! Because he’s dead?!” Dad was furious. “Dad, I’ve had enough of this! You don’t know as much as you think you do! No one in this damn town knows as much as they think they do! I love you, but you need to shut the hell up about Zee and the accident.” “How dare you talk to me like that? I am your father.” “Oh you are? You’ve sure acted like it for the past four years. You’re just like the rest of them. You don’t know me, you don’t know what happened.” “You were driving a vehicle that killed at kid Paislee! Why don’t you understand that?! That’s why no one treats you like they used to!” “Dad just shut up and drop this!” “No! You need to start being responsible!” “Dad! I wasn’t driving the truck!” I yelled. “What?!” he didn’t understand what he just heard. “I was not driving the truck that night!” “Then who was?!” “Zee was. Zee didn’t drink that night so he drove home.” I was almost crying now.

“Paislee, you weren’t driving?” My mom came walking in the living room. “No. I wasn’t. I really wasn’t.” “They found you in the driver’s seat.” Dad piped in. “Pay, tell them the whole story. They need to know everything.” Ryder spoke up. “I can’t.” I cried. “Paislee, tell them everything. Don’t worry about Nikkole she’ll be fine. Don’t worry about Zee. He would rather have everyone know that it was him and not you. HE wouldn’t want them blaming you.” Ryder put his hand on my shoulder. I thought about it for a minute. “Come on tell them.” “Okay fine…. You want the truth here it is."