Chapter 19: The Hope

*Hunter's point of view*

I left when Paislee did. I went to see her dad and her brother at the garage. We sat around the table and talked for a while before, we decided to go back to the house and have some lunch with the girls.

We got back and sat in the living room, watched the weather, and waited for Pais to get back. There was a knock on the door. Sarah got up to answer it, and then she screamed. We all went running to the door. Harry grabbed her. She was sobbing uncontrollable and we couldn't understand what she was saying. I looked at the door way and there were two state troopers standing there. "Can we help you?" Ryder asked walked over to him. I followed behind him. "We came to speak to the family of Paislee Throne." The taller one spoke first. "We are the family of Paislee. Why are you here to speak to us? Is she in trouble?" Ryder asked, even though he was afraid to. "Miss Thorne has been in very serious accident, and right now she is at the Grace Memorial Hospital in the intensive care unit. If you would like to go up to the hospital we can give you a ride or an escort." The other one explained. My heart sank. My Paislee in the ICU after a very serious accident. No. Not this again.

We went to the hospital and found where Paislee was. The doctor wanted to meet with us before we went in to see her. "Paislee has suffered many injuries. She sprained her right wrist and arm. She also has several large contusions on her back, both her arms, legs, and face. She has a few lacerations on her abdomen, her left arm, and her back. There is no internal bleeding, and there are no fractures. She does however have a serious concussion with some major swelling in her brain, and as we can tell, there is no bleeding. But, there is too much pressure in her skull, and we had to prevent any more brain injury by putting her in a medically induced coma. The coma was our best option for reducing the inflammation and swelling of the brain. There is a risk of infections, but we are keeping her on some antibiotics to limit the chances." He explained and we all stayed quiet for a few minutes, while we processed this information. "How long will she be in the coma?" Harry asked with tears in his eyes. "Anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. The chances of a month or more is very rare, but it all depends on her." "Can we see her?" Sarah asked. "Yes, you can.  Feel free to talk to her, even though she's not awake she can still hear you. If you need anything the nurse's station is a few doors down." He smiled and walked away.

We went in and she was lying in bed with a tube in her mouth for feeding and oxygen in her nose. Her right arm was in a sling and her other arm was bandaged up. She had an IV in her left hand, and she had several bruises that were visible. Her mom and dad sat on one side, Ryder and I sat on the other. We all stayed quiet, for a really long time. I held her hand and didn't want to let go. I felt like if I let go, I'd lose her forever.

Harry's phone rang after a while of silence. "It's the insurance company. They probably received the accident statement from the troopers." He sighed looking at the caller ID. "Let me handle it. I'll probably have to call the tow company and tell them where we want the truck to go." Ryder got up and took Harry's phone. "Have them bring it to the garage. And the insurance company can come take pictures tomorrow afternoon." He sighed and put his arm back around his wife. "Okay.... Hello?" he answered the phone and left the room. "Do you think they'll be anything left to salvage of her truck?" Sarah asked in a hushed tone. I'm guessing that she didn't want Pais to hear. "For Paislee's sake we hope so, but I wouldn't doubt if they total it look at her injuries. I'm kind of afraid to see it, but I am glad that we all saw her before we did the truck." Harry rubbed his face and sighed. "She's strong, Harold. She will come through this, because she is your daughter. She is stubborn, she is hard headed, and she is a fighter. But most of all, she's not done with this world yet." Sarah leaned on his shoulder.

Around 9pm, Harry suggested that he and Sarah go home and rest, since Pais was stable. Ryder and I decided to stay the night with her. Ryder ended up going on a food and coffee run since hospital food is shit. I stayed back and held Paislee's hand. "You have to come back to us. I don't know what I would do without you." I sighed and put my other hand on hers. "My life had been such a mess, until I found you. I know that Zee has been waiting for you, but he's going to have to wait a little longer because I'm not going to let you go anytime soon." I stopped for a few minutes just to hear her breathe. "You are so beautiful, and I am so lucky that you are mine. Paislee, you can do this. You are strong and you are a fighter. If you weren't, you wouldn't have protected Zee for so long. You wouldn't have put yourself in such a position, if you weren't. Paislee, I just love you so much. I do, I love you. I want to be with you every hour of everyday for the rest of our lives. I love you Paislee – Jay Kaydence Thorne." I cried and kissed her head. I put my head down on the bed next to her hand and mine.

"She's going to be okay, Hunter." Ryder put his hand on my shoulder. "I hope so. I don't know what I would do without her." "I know. I don't know what I would do without her either. She's my baby sister, and my best friend." Ryder had tears rolling down his face. "How much of that did you hear?" I picked my head up the rest of the way and asked. "Enough. Enough to know that you are the perfect guy for my sister, and even my father approves of you. So, you better not let her go, ever. You know, she loves you. She loves you more than anything and she's not going to leave us, especially not you."