Chapter 5: The People

"Without love, we are birds with broken wings." - Morrie Schwartz

*Paislee's Point of View*

I opened my eyes. All I can feel is pain, everywhere. What the Hell happened? I look around the room. This is not my house, this is not my room. I'm in the hospital. Ryder is sleeping in the chair next to my bedside. I can't breathe without it hurting. Ugh, my pelvis, my ribs, my face, my head, they all hurt. "Hey, you're awake." Ryder yawns. He fakes a smile, but I know that something is wrong. Then it all comes back to me. The ride home, the black ice, the tree, Zee. The one second I was awake, the one second I had my chance. "Where are Wyatt and Nikkole, and Zee? Where are they?!" I sat up and asked in panic. "Wyatt is down the hall, Nikkole is too." He sighs. "Do you remember anything?" "You never answered me where is Zee?" I asked trying to get him not to change the subject. "Do you know that you were in an accident?" "Yes, I know. I know! Where is Zee?" "Zee was killed in the accident. He's gone Pay." Ryder cries. "Ryder, who was driving?" I asked.....

I wake up in a panic. I hate when I have this dream. I got up and punched my wall. Why the Hell can't I forget this damn thing?! I felt the anxiety building in me. I know why. "Pay are you okay?" Ryder came in. "Yeah, I'm fine." I sighed settling down. "You had that dream again didn't you about the accident?" he asked. "Yeah, I did. Why can't I forget about it?!" I sat on my bed and cried. He sat down next to me and put his arms around me. "Because it was a traumatic experience where you lost your friend." "Yeah, that's what the therapist used to say. But for some reason I think it's more than that." "There is more to it. You lied to everyone." "I had to."

In the morning, I had the day off to relax. Nikkole was going with her sister to the movies and lunch. I decided to take a ride to the cemetery. I went to visit Zee. I saw Josh standing over his headstone. I went to turn around but he saw me. "Paislee? What are you doing here?" he asked breaking the silence. "I came to say Hi to Zee, but I can leave and come back later." "No, it's okay. I'm glad that I saw you." "Oh yeah?" "Yeah, it's been a while. I got a call last night asking about you." "Oh, who called you?" "Hunter Wayde. He had questions about you." "Great. I bet his uncle told him about the rumors." "Maybe you should come over tonight and clear them up." "Maybe, I don't know what he believes or not. I don't know." "Hey, he's coming over after he gets out of work, if you want to stop by." "Who's going to be there?" "No one but me and Hunter." "Okay, I'll think about it." I smiled and he hugged me. "You have to tell the truth." "I can't Josh. You know that I can't." "You can. Half of these rumors will go away if you do." "I don't care about the rumors. I care about your brother and I care about Nikkole." I sighed. "You know that Zee wouldn't care what anyone thought about him. He never did. And Nikkole is a big girl, you can't protect her forever. I'll see you later." He hugged me and left.

I went and saw Hunter and Ryder for their lunch break. I brought pizza over for the whole crew. "Hey. I thought that I heard your truck!" Ryder smiled and hugged me. "Well, look who it is." Hunter smiled and hugged me too. "Hi boys. How's work?" I asked putting the pizza down. "It's been busy today actually." "Well, that's good. Where's Dad?" I was looking for him. "He's in a meeting, and he's in a mood today. So, I wouldn't bother him if I were you." "I won't. I don't need to be on his bad side any more than I already am." I laughed. "So, what are your plans for tonight?" Hunter asked me. "Nothing, unless Nikki decides to ditch Ryder and wants to hang out with me, but we all know that that's not going to happen." I looked at Ry and laughed. "Shut up, she loves me more then she loves you!" Ryder stuck his tongue out at me. I stuck mine out at him. "Well, I'm going to see Josh after work. I'll call or text you when I leave there and we can hang out," Hunter laughed at Ry and I. "Yeah that sounds good. I actually saw Josh earlier. He looks like he's doing well." "He is. I haven't seen him in a while and I have to talk to him about the truck anyway." "Oh okay. Well, I have to go but I hope that you guys enjoy your pizza. I will see you at home Ryder and hopefully I will see you later too Hunter." I hugged them both and left.

I got home and Nikki was waiting for me. "Hey Girl!" she smiled. "Why are you so happy?" I asked kind of frightened. "Because, I heard that you and Hunter were at the race track last night and then you two disappeared and no one heard from either of you for hours." "It's not what you think Nikki." I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Oh, I bet that it's not! Tell me everything now!" "Okay, let's go in my room. My mom will be home nay minute and I don't want her to hear that I hung out with a guy last night at the track and then at my dad's garage." "You took him to the garage?! No way!" she was excited to hear all about this. "Shh, let's go!" I pulled her by her arm into my room. I told her everything, even about my run in with Josh at the cemetery. "Oh my God. You have to go to Josh's tonight! Hunter obviously likes you a lot!" "Nikki, I don't know." I sighed and shook my head.