Chapter 16: The One

Wyatt called me again in the morning. He wanted to meet for lunch or something. I had to work, so I figured he could come over on my lunch break. I wasn't supposed to work today, but they called and said they needed help. I haven't seen Wyatt since we broke up all those years ago. "Hey, look at you. You look beautiful." He came over and hugged me. I barley recognized him. "Wyatt, Oh my god. I seriously wouldn't have known it was you, if I saw you on the street!" I laughed. I was always brutally honest with him, I don't know what it is. "So, you're big secret is out. Is everyone treating you a little bit better now?" "It's only been like two days, but for the most part." "I'm not mad at you, but I have to ask. How could you lie to me? Of all people, me? I understand why you did it, but you never lied to me." "I guess, I took a page out of your book." "I'm sorry, I deserved that. I'm sorry that I wasn't ever completely honest with you. But if you just told me, I could've sided with you, I could've helped you." "And, how could've you helped me? You were out cold in the back seat the entire time. The only one who was even awake after the accident was me. You and Nikkole were knocked unconscious, and Zee was dead! I'm going to say this once and only once. I did what I had to do, and honestly if I had to, I'd do it again." "I know you would. Because you loved Zee more than you ever loved me, and don't you dare say that I'm wrong, because I know you." he smiled and looked me in the eyes. "I did, and I'm sorry that I did, but I can't help the way I felt." "I know. Pay, you're not telling me anything that I don't already know." "Wyatt..." "Let's stop talking about it, I already got the answers that I needed. I just needed to hear them from you." "Okay."

"So your boyfriend, he's something else." "Yeah, I know. He's unpredictable. Like I had no idea that he'd figure out the truth. And, I honestly didn't know that he'd call you." I sighed. "Yeah, I know. I never in a million years expected that phone call. Especially from your boyfriend. Does he know that you're having lunch with me?" "Yes, he does. I tell him everything. The only lie I ever told him was the lie that I told everyone else." "I'm still sticking to what I said Pay. You have to marry him. He's the only one smart and brave enough to call you on your bullshit. And he obviously really cares about you." "I know Wyatt. I really care about him too. I have honestly never felt this way before. Not even about Zee." "See, you have to marry him." "I've only known him for a month and a half, if that." "Does that really matter now a days?" "No. not really," "See." "Shut up!" This was a Wyatt that I have never ever seen before, and he was nice, but I didn't feel anything for him anymore. I'm not even sure I liked him. We finished our lunch and I went back to work while he left. "Hey, Paislee, this is yours." Kami came over and gave me a $100 dollar bill. "From who? I've been on lunch for forty-five minutes. " I asked really confused. "The guy that you were sitting with. He said that you deserve this for how hard that you work. " "Damn it, Wyatt!" I groaned. He waited until I walked away, so I couldn't give it back to him.

I was just about to leave work, when my brother called me. "Hey, meet me at the hospital now." he sounded panicked. "Why? What's wrong?" "It's mom." he hung up and I got in my car. I called Hunter when I got to the hospital and told him what was going on. We were supposed to hang out, but this is kind of more important. I went in and found my brother in the emergency department. " Hey what's going on?" I asked hugging him. "Mom's losing the baby, but they think that something else might be wrong." "Like what?" "We don't know. Dad's in there with her right now and I figured that I'd wait for you." "Thanks, Ry." I felt so uneasy. My stomach hurt. After about an hour, Hunter showed up. I didn't honestly expect him to come. "Hey." I kissed him and he hugged me. "What's going on?" "Mom's losing the baby, but I guess there's something else going on, but no one knows what." "I'm so sorry." he held on to me and I just rested my head on him. "Is Nikkole coming?" I looked at Ryder. "I'm not sure. She was out with her sister when I called her to let her know that I wasn't coming to dinner. "Did you tell her why?" "No, I just told her that mom was in the hospital. " "Okay, well you know you better tell her everything. She's good at knowing when something is being kept from her. Trust me." "Yeah, I know. But she can wait for two seconds this time. " He sounded annoyed. "Is something going on?" I asked knowing my brother. He wasn't acting like himself. "I'm just so sick of her selfishness, and her bitching. She cares more about what I buy her, then our relationship it's self. "Ry, that's the way she's always been. Either you never knew that because you're too blind or she's gotten worse." "Oh believe me, she's gotten worse. I love her, I really do. And, I don't think I could live without her." "Okay, but what exactly is going on?" I pushed harder because he wasn't giving me an answer.

He just looked at me and sighed. "She wants me to buy her an engagement ring, she wants to move out and buy a house, and most of all she wants to have a baby. She's been pressuring me to get her pregnant. I honestly don't want any of that right now. I honestly don't. I can't afford to marry her, buy a house, and have a baby all at the same time and that's what she wants." "Ry, you needed to set her straight. You don't help her. You spoil her more and you don't say no to her. This is a two way street and she's my best friend, but if you don't stand up for yourself and take your balls back then I will. And I'll probably punch her." "She's right, just like if I never called your sister out on her lies and stuff. She wouldn't be this happy. Pais every since you told everyone the truth you seem happier. Your eyes seem brighter." Hunter agreed and then looked at me. "Thank you. Thank you for doing what no one else has done in a very long time." "And what's that?" He asked. "You know me."