Runaway - Poppy

Hazel was gone. Dead. Slaughtered. Killed. Whatever you want to call it.

And so was Poppy, in a way.

Her friend's death had risen up like a tsunami just yearning to pounce, and swooshed in, destroying all the emotions she used to have, all the feelings that made Poppy Poppy. Now, she was just a nobody who distantly stared out the window watching nothing in particular, mind constantly racing with thoughts of wist and hatred.

That's right, hatred. Hatred to the Capitol for these dreadful Games in the first place. Hatred to even Hazel for not trying harder to win.

Hatred to herself for just standing there like a coward instead of volunteering while that slip of paper with her comrade's name on it was drawn out of the glass bowl. Poppy scorned herself for that action.

Why?

Why? Why? Why? Why did ___ happen? She couldn't even fill in the blank; she felt so miserable ever since Hazel exhaled her last breath right there on the screen.

Poppy crouched in a ball and buried her face in her folded arms, waiting for the tears that didn't come to come. She stayed like that for the next hour, just sitting there on the musty wooden floor.

"Poppy?"

The girl's head snapped up like a spring, red curls bobbing. "What?" Her voice sounded dryer and harsher than she meant it to be.

Basil took a step back. "Oh uh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ... uh ...."

"It's fine." Poppy muttered. "I'm fine." She waved her hand robotically.

"No, you're not," the little girl whispered.

Poppy tilted her head. "Say what?"

"You're not fine," Basil repeated. "You're angry and grouchy and sad and grievous and all those other words that someone would never use to describe you."

A long pause.

Poppy finally sighed. "Basil?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you ever wish you had the ability to change the past?"

Another long pause.

"Well, no." Basil shrugged, crouching down so that she met eyes with the older girl. "Some things happen for a reason. I guess it was just time for Hazel to leave the human world."

Poppy growled and threw her fist on the wooden floor with so much force that she thought she felt a splinter. "Of course she had to go! It was God's flipping will, wasn't it?" Her eyes burned intensely. "We don't get a choice in this world; it's not fair!"

"It isn't," Basil agreed. "but think about it; everything has a happy ending. Hazel's exodus will make you stronger. You're forced to be stronger, now that you're on your own. You can use this experience as proof that you will eventually continue living as a better person."

"Or, I'll just be this miserable grumpy person like I am now." Poppy returned, crestfallen.

"Poppy, why are you this negative?!" Basil suddenly shrieked, making Poppy jump. "You used to be so happy and kind and awesome, and I know that you saw the unfortunate death of Hazel, but at least try to recover!"

The younger girl looked into Poppy's eyes, pleading with her own. "Do this for yourself."

Poppy stared down at the floor. "I don't think I can ..."

"Look, I know that Hazel would want you to do this."

"You really won't give up, will ya Basil?" Poppy raised an eyebrow.

"Nope!"

"Then the answer is yes," she smiled for the first time in weeks. "I'll keep living. I'll get stronger. I'll make it." Poppy paused. "But I will need your help, Basil."

"Happy to aid you!" Basil yelled.

"Great!" Poppy exclaimed, then her expression grew serious as she faced Basil. "Listen, Basil, the first part of this recovery process requires a trip."

"A trip?"

"A journey." The ginger-haired girl answered. "Basil, we're gonna get out of this hell. We will stop living in fear like this, and be free for real. It's going to be hard, but we will get there no matter what happens in one way or another."

"Where will we go?" Basil asked.

Poppy's eyes gleamed an emerald color, shining like silver. She actually had the answer in her mind for multiple days, but now she could actually share it with someone else.

"District Thirteen."