Prayers

Mackenzie

After President Snow gives a speech in the City Circle, signaling the end of the parade, we ride our chariots into the Training Center where Knoxy, Kalia, our stylists, and River's mentor; Duff are waiting for us. We step out of the chariot and Kalia engulfs me in a hug.

"You look beautiful." She says, pulling away.

"Thanks."

They lead us to an elevator and we all cram inside along with the tributes who I think are from 6. Knoxy and the other tributes' escort start chatting away while Duff presses the buttons on the control panel. The kids are dressed in some silver getup but it's the girl that catches my eye. She has the most stunning crystal blue eyes I've ever seen. Surely she'll have a ton of sponsors and a good chance of winning. The doors open and the kids step out and the girl gives me a small smile while Knoxy and their escort do that thing where they kiss each other on the cheeks. The doors close behind them and we shoot upwards again. In a matter of seconds we've made it to our floor. the glass doors slide open and we step out. My jaw drops. This is the fanciest place I've ever seen!

"Well, come in!" Chirps Knoxy. "Don't just stand there!"

Knoxy starts leading us around while River and I obediently follow her. She gives us a short tour and we end back up near the elevator.

"You can go to your rooms and shower if you'd like, just be back in time for dinner!"

I walk to the room Knoxy said was mine and plop down on the bed. The door opens and Kalia slips in and sits next to me.

"I remember this room." She says.

I turn to look at her and her eyes meet mine. Images of all the other girls that have stayed in this room before me and never come home flash in my head and it shakes me. She must see it in my face because she puts her arms around me.

"It's okay." She whispers. "You'll be okay."

I swipe at the tears forming in my eyes and she tightens her grip.

"Just let it out. It's okay."

"I just want to go home." I say, toying with my necklace.

"I know, but sadly that can't happen."

"Yeah."

"What's on your necklace?" She asks.

I show her the heart charm on it and she runs her fingers over it.

"Is this from someone special?" She asks, meeting my eyes.

"From Devin; my boyfriend back home." I tell her.

"Do you miss him?"

"Yeah." I reply, trying to keep a fresh wave of tears from spilling.

"I'm so sorry." She says, standing up. "I'll see you at dinner."

"Okay."

I get up off the bed and walk into the bathroom connected to my room. I slip out of the beautiful yet uncomfortable costume from the Tribute Parade and turn on the shower.

After spending ten minutes just trying to program my shower so that it's the right temperature and choosing a vanilla scented body wash, shampoo, and conditioner, I finally step in. The warm water soothes my sore muscles and I wash my body and hair. I step out and some big hair dryer thingy dries my hair and body in an instant. I wrap a towel around myself and step back into my room and my jaw drops. River is there, sitting on my bed.

"River!" I scream at him. "What are you doing? Get out!"

"C'mon babe." He says, standing up.

"Don't call me that!" I scream, backing away from him.

"Don't be sour, Mackenzie."

"Seriously, River, I have a boyfriend!"

"Well, it's not like you're coming back to him." He blurts out.

My jaw drops, did he really just say that? His face softens and he backs up.

"Mackenzie, I'm so sorry..."

"Get out!" I scream at him with tears streaming down my face.

"Please, I didn't mean it like that..." He mutters.

"Get out!" I yell again.

He quickly turns and walks out, slamming the door behind him. I fall down onto the bed and lay there, sobbing. 

Why did he have to bring this up? He knows I'm going to die. I know I'm going to die. 

I decide I should go to bed, so I get up and plod over to the dresser that sits in the corner of the room. I reach into one of the drawers and pull out a pair of jeans. Nope. I finally find a white silk nightgown and I slip it on. Then I pull back the fluffy bed clothes and crawl deep into the bed, fingering my necklace and praying that I'll make it home to see Devin again.