Relief

Mackenzie

I sit on a log around the fire we built while fingering with my necklace, reliever to have at least made it through the first day. It's dusk now and a few hours before, Hazel and Olive went hunting and came back with a stag that Hazel killed. After cleaning and eating it we all just sat around. I'm still in shock of all the terrible deaths I saw today, and by the looks of it, so are some of he others. Olive and Aspen sit side by side whispering together. Ridley sits quietly by herself. She holds her sword's tip over the fire as Hazel sits next to me, looking deep in thought. There's a few words here and there but nobody really feels like talking. I shudder at the memory of the horrific bloodbath this morning. All of those bodies, the blood... I struggle to push the memory away but I have a feeling it's not one ill soon forget. Not that I have much time left.

"I ran into some other tributes today." Hazel says in a quiet voice.

"What?" I ask. When she came back with the stag she hadn't mentioned anything about he other tributes.

"When I was dragging the stag back. It was both from Two, Four, and One."

"Isn't Lily from Four?" I ask.

"Yeah," she replies. "She let me go."

"How?"

"They were chasing me do I ran up a tree. They told Lily to guard me while they go inspect some smoke they saw. When they left Lily just let me go."

"Won't they kill her?" I ask.

Hazel shrugs. "Probably. We put some blood from the deer on her hands to look like she killed me so hopefully that will buy her enough time to get her butt out of there before the rest of her alliance sees that my face isn't in the sky tonight."

"Oh." Is all I say. I'm hoping she won't come join us to be honest. I think the more people we add the more tension rises. Plus, the Careers scare me.

-

As the sun slips further and further below the horizon and the temperature drops, Aspen suggests we should go to bed. Aspen holds Olive close as Eisley lays quite close to them. Hazel and I lay next to each other. I toss and turn, trying to find a comfortable position on the cold ground when the anthem blared out and the Panem seal lights up the sky. I roll onto my back, watching as the faces of the dead tributes shine down on us. First is the boy from 3. Then both from 5. The boy from 6 is next followed by Eisley's district partner, Eoin, from 7. Eisley takes an audible breath as Eoin's face flashes above us followed by the girl from 9 and both from 10. The final notes of the anthem fade out as I lay in shock . 8 are dead. 8 innocent children dead. I quickly swipe away a tear. I don't know why I'm so sad, I didn't even know any of them but I know, sooner or later, my face will be there too.

Suddenly, a cannon sounds. All of us jolt up, glancing around in fear. Aspen has his sword drawn, as does Hazel.

"We won't know who it was 'til tomorrow." Olive points out. Still no one moves to lay back down.

"She's right," I squeak out. "We'd be better off trying to get some sleep."

After a few more minutes everyone lays down again and I slowly fall asleep, dreaming of Devin watching me from back home.

-

We're officially off hiatus!! Thanks for being patient and thanks to the amazing Ida_e_D2 DemigodEAH_Tribute and AmandaOdair14 as usual. You guys are the best!