Isaiah

Elizabeth walked toward the empty seat beside me, still deep in thought. Had she noticed that I was afraid of her earlier? Or was she mad at me for getting her in trouble? Some guy from her previous class made a live transmission of her public apology and everyone in my class saw it live... the teacher included. 

Thankfully, people were acting normal around her. After she left everyone was shocked and worried about her. It's nice to see that they care, even if it might be just peer pressure.

"How did you do in your previous classes? Did someone bother you?" she asked me with a concerned voice while casually touching my hand.

 Even if it is her, I'm not comfortable with being touched. Her smile dropped when I quickly removed my hand from her reach. "Sorry" she mumbled breaking eye contact. I had never seen such a pained expression on her beautiful face. 

I hate myself right now. Hah... Like that's something new.

"I didn't have any problem with anyone else today." I smiled, trying to dissipate the depressing atmosphere I had just created. 

This was mostly true. No one else questioned me today. They ignored me even more than before if that was even possible. They just acted like I did not exist, which is not necessarily something wrong given that previously the only acknowledgment that I got were mocking remarks.

" I am glad you did not have any more problems." She gave me sad smile and my heart ached. 

I couldn't hold it anymore. Even if I was uncomfortable, I wanted to make her feel better, so I reached for her hand and cupped it with mine.

"I'm sorry, I reacted badly before. I'm just not used to this." I pointed to our hands and lowered my face to her line of sight.

"Used to what?" she had a confused look on her face.

"To people being nice to me," I whispered hoping that no one was listening to our conversation. "To people touching me, without bad intentions..."

She interlaced her fingers with mine while rubbing the back of my hand with her other hand. This relaxed me. She put my hand in her lap and we spent the rest of the class talking about the project ignoring the fact that she was still caressing my hand.

After class ended, she reluctantly let go of my hand and we walked in silence towards the library. She interlaced her pinky finger with mine while we walked down the hallway. There were still some people around but she did not seem to have a care in the world. In fact, she looked ecstatic. 

For the first time since that day, I could feel my wolf. I have always liked her, but we had never been these close. These two days feel like two years. So much has changed.

We went to the library and she told me to get some books with her. After we picked up a few of them, she went to the front desk and the librarian gave her a key. When the librarian saw me, she winked at her.

She guided me to the back of the library and we stopped in front of a small door I had never seen before. She used the key to open the door and we walked inside.

The room was small but cozy. There was a love seat with end tables at each side, a coffee table, a small bookshelf with some books and a lamp.

"Welcome to my reading chamber!" she said giggling as she closed the door behind her. We seated on the loveseat, our bodies almost touching.

"This used to be a rundown empty maintenance closet, full of cockroaches, rats, and other wild beasts." She swung her arms dramatically and I let out a chuckle. "In freshman year, I asked for permission to clean it up and buy some furniture. The principal said that the room was not being used anyway, so I could make it my reading chamber. Sometimes, I share it with the librarians."

We read the books and searching for relevant information. After a while, she had put her book down and was instead her staring at me intently. 

"Mmmm... Is there anything you want to tell me?" I asked casually without lifting my gaze from the book. She jumped a little and began to fake read. Now, I looked at her.

"I was just wondering, when is your birthday?"

"My birthday is on Saturday of the next week" I smiled remembering that I would not have to spend it at home.

"Really? Your birthday is the same day as mine!" She beamed. "How old are you?"

"I'll be eighteen next week."

"We were born on the same day!" She squealed.

I smiled and patted her head. As soon as I did this I froze again. She looked me with widened eyes and smiled. 

"Sorry." I went back to reading

After we made some progress, we left some of the books in the reading chamber and went to the parking lot. The most powerful and feared Alpha of America was parked there waiting for us, a.k.a Elizabeth's father.