Chapter 18 | Alas

C H A P T E R 18

   "We can't hurt them though

"We can't hurt them though." I whispered, referring to Stanley, Ben and Thomas.

Everyone agreed. We weren't going to hurt our friends, despite what they had become. Because we all were grabbing into the chance that maybe– just maybe – they could return back to normal again. I prayed that was the case.

We all slowly approached the clown, some more scared than others. We all started picking up the pace before separating into two groups. Bill, Beverly and Eddie going to the left side and Mike Ella and I to the right.

Ben hopped to his feet and started racing after Ella who held her steel bat out in front of her. We were surprised that they actually attempted to attack us, although we weren't sure what we were expecting.

Ben opened his mouth to reveal millions of small sharp teeth before biting into the bat and ripping it in half.

"Shit" Ella mumbled, looking at the broken wood in front of her. She looked at Ben before smacking him across the face with what was left of her weapon.

   With a loud splash, Ben's body collided with the water and Ella had returned by our side. We weren't going to let them kill us, so I guess we needed to do something to get them to stop.

   The clown seemed to be getting weaker and weaker. His once stealthy movements were now sloppy and unorganized. Just his physical appearance seemed to be rugged.

   As for Thomas and Stanley, they stood there silently. It's as if they needed to be triggered or taunted to do something.

The clown was tough. We swung our bats and shot out shot, but it was difficult to understand It's actions.

    Eventually, we began to notice it's head was falling apart. Grey, solid pieces were clinging against the hard ground– disintegrating within the water. It's bright red hair was brown and cut while his suit was ripped and destroyed to the buttoned shoes.

  One final hit from Ella, and the clown grabbed onto his head and screamed aloud. Everyone blocked their ears and backed up quickly, scurrying away from the distressed.

It stumbled to his feet, walking slowly to the front door before just falling back onto his face again.

  We all stared at his body. With a poof, white and red cotton filled the air and fell down like unwanted confetti. It would have been a pretty sight if everything that had just happened didn't happen. The only thing that was left of the clown now was a single red Pom-Pom disintegrating within the grey water– alone.

Everyone stood in shock. Did we do it? There was no way. Everyone seemed to be indecisive with whether or not to be pleased or disgusted.

   I looked at Stanley and Thomas. They were standing straight, but soon they fell into the water too.

   I hesitantly walked over to Stanley, purposely taking my time to get there. I didn't want to face reality. Not now, not ever. I still brought a bat with me, just in case.

I grabbed his shoulder and lightly flipped him over. His mouth was hanging open just a bit, and his eyes were shut closed. His curled hair was falling upwards, not covering his forehead like it would usually.

   I didn't want to cry. I wanted to be brave, stay strong. But the strongest people cry– showing emotion was ok. So, I did. A couple tears streamed down my face and onto his shirt. He couldn't leave me. I didn't want him to leave me. Everyone I loved left me and I didn't want him to go. Everyone in my life goes so easily.

   The thought of him no longer making sarcastic jokes about Richie, the thought of never being able to have another fun sleepover... the thought of not being able to call him my friend anymore– it tore me apart.
  But suddenly, I heard a faint voice.

"Amy?"

    His eyes open slowly– I watched as they grew wider and wider with realization, his mouth turning into a soft smile.

"Stanley." I said before I felt him hug me tightly.

We sat in a warm puddle of blood and water but we didn't care. We were too focused on one another to notice anything else, and that was okay.

"What happened?" Stanley asked, observing my cut and bruised face.

I rolled my eyes, "That's a long story."

   "Did I hurt anyone?" He asked, looking around.

"No" I smiled as he let out a sigh of relief,

    "I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I did."

Suddenly, the front door clicked open, and the most recognizable voice echoed throughout the room, "what's up bitches!"

All of our heads snapped towards the voice to see the one and only: Richie.

But he wasn't alone. Richie had a small, little girl standing next to him. He was holding her hand as she swayed back and forth. Both of their faces were brown and muddy, their shirts completely ruined.

"That motherfucker just dropped us off and left." Richie said smiling, crossing his arms and looking at the small girl.

"Polly..." Ella mumbled before pushing past us and running to the small girl.

    It was Polly Evans.

"Elly!" The little girl cried out with joy as Ella held her in her arms. She slowly let her sister down, smiling at her and then looking at us.

   "Thank you." Ella said weakly.

    I smiled, but I couldn't help but know something was wrong. Something was still missing.

I looked back to see Eddie hovering over Thomas. I isolated myself from the group and silently walked over to Eddie, who once I got closer, I realized was crying.

"Eddie" I said, softly reaching for his shoulder.

"Why isn't he alive? Why isn't Ben alive..." Eddie sniffled.

I sighed, "Believe they're alive. Remember them being alive."

  He looked at me as if I was crazy.

"Trust me, Eddie." I nodded at him, his teary eyes reaching Thomas and Ben's bodies.

   He cried silently, staring at them for a few minutes until two loud gasps for air were heard. Thomas flew upwards, looking around frantically. He coughed for a moment before choking up a ball of water. Ben, on the other hand was slow, but he too, was alive.

   "Thomas!" Eddie smiled, flying into him for a big hug, "Oh, and Ben!"

Everyone was safe, and everyone was okay. We left the sewers safely, proud, and happy. The house on Neibolt street has memories within its walls, nightmares within its walls, but for now, time remains frozen within the structure.

-

O N E • W E E K • L A T E R

"I'm happy I finally got to visit the 'quarry' everyone had been talking about." I smiled, my feet dangling from a hot rock.

"Hey guys" Bill began, "I-If it comes again," he said getting up, "We have t-to kill it. Or make it go away– like we did this time."

"Again?" Eddie sighed, furrowing his eyebrows in worry.

   "W-We could s-save lives." Bill weakly grinned, "We could help p-people."

"I agree. We're the only ones who know what's happening in Derry, so if we plan on keeping it a secret, we're the ones responsible for stopping it" I added.

"I guess you're right, but if a clown barfs me up one more time... I'm done." Thomas chuckled.

"And if I witness that again, I'm also done." Ella said.

And so, we end my story in the burning summer sun with everyone who I love and care for. It couldn't have been better. I mean, maybe we couldn't have risked our lives more than five times, but hey, the summer ended in smiled and forgiveness. And, I met an amazing group of people.

T H E E N D