Chapter 12| The sleepover

C H A P T E R 12
E D I T E D
1099 WORDS

C H A P T E R 12E D I T E D 1099 WORDS

walkin

"Stanley, you can't walk out here alone." I said.

Stanley gazed at the ground as if he was ashamed. His eyes looked tired, his small mouth pattered down into a frown. I felt bad.

"I'll be fine." He shed a weak smile. But I knew he was lying, I knew he felt scared.

"If anything were to happen to you, it would be my fault." I sighed.

He shook his head, "No, it wouldn't be. I enjoy walking you home, so technically, it's my fault for wanting to be with you." He defended.

"And I really, really appreciate that." I said smiling, "but you need to stay safe."

"There's no other option." He said. I pondered for a moment. Maybe there was another option.

My mom is a pretty laid back person. Although she's strict when it comes to things like my safety, my education and health...she wants me to be happy.

Also, from a parents perspective, I think she wouldn't be too upset at allowing another kid to sleep over. Especially for safety reasons.

"You can stay over?" I said, turning to face my house.

"Oh," his eyes went wide, "I don't know. Your mom... she wouldn't want a boy sleeping over."

"I can blow up a mattress for you. My mom trusts me enough. Plus, just cause' you're a guy doesn't mean anything." I said.

"I don't want your mom to not like me or something. I don't want to be a burden." He added.

"My mom knows your parents. She knows who you are and she knows that you're a good kid. My mom's really nice." I finished. A small smile appeared on Stanley's face.

"Okay." He said, the small, shy smile still on his face.

The TV light shined through the entire house. My mom sat on our old, worn our couch in front of the television, her eyes glued to her favourite late-night game show.

"Hey mom." I said quietly. Her head quickly turned to me.

"Oh, hello. Where have you been?" She asked, her usual tone of voice disappearing and turning into more of a concern.

"Sorry, I lost track of time." I said.

She sighed, "Wear your watch tomorrow. You know I worry because of everything that's happening in Derry."

I nodded along. Soon enough, her eyes peered behind me to see Stanley.

"Who's he?" She said, slowly getting up from her seat.

"This is Stanley" I said, stepping away to introduce him.

"Stanley Uris?" My mom said with pep in her voice.

"Yeah." Stanley said quietly. "Nice to meet you." My mom said, giving out her hand to shake it, which he did.

"So..." My mom said, glaring my way for some sort of explanation.

"Well, you know with all of the
... kidnaps ... going on." I began, "I was worried for Stanley... walking alone at this time of night. Would he be able to stay over? Just for tonight?" I asked, crossing my fingers behind my back.

My mom huffed, "Of course, of course! He could gladly stay anytime. Just make sure he sleeps separate from you." My mom said, booping my nose, "And thank you, Stanley, for walking Amy home. I'll be sure to call your mom to tell you that you're safe. Also, thank god your friends are alright. Mike and Ben." My mom finished.

"Follow me." I said smiling, grabbing Stanley's hand and bringing him up the large flight of stairs to my bedroom.

"I wasn't expecting company so my rooms a lil' messy." I said, flicking on the lights to my overly-bright white room. My bed hadn't been made and there were a few shirts on the ground. I kicked some old math homework and chip bags under my bed quickly, but I was pretty sure Stanley noticed anyways.

"It's pretty." Stanley said, looking around at my desk, my burrow, my bed and closet.

"Thanks."

I observe him as he walked around my room, glaring at the smallest of artifacts that cluttered every corner. I smiled.

Eventually, his bed was all set up. I had given him some spare blankets and pillows, and we had all gotten ready for bed until I finally turned the lights off.

Silence. Nothing but the sounds of cicadas outside.

But soon, even that was gone. It was so quiet. No birds, animals or bugs. There weren't any neighbours having a small get together on their porch, although I know for a fact that the Davidson's next door were definitely having a porch party.

"Hey, Amy." Stanley said out of the blue, his voice quiet.

"Yes?" I responded.

"Does all of this... you know, stuff keep you up at night?" He asked me.

"No, I mean, it keeps my mind constantly awake but it doesn't keep me up at night. I don't know if that made sense." I said.

A soft sigh was heard from across the room, "It keeps me up at night. All the time. It terrifies me, but I never told anyone because they'd call me chicken. I mean, they already do, but..." he shuffled around, "I didn't even tell Eddie, who I trust the most."

"Stanley-"

"What I had to do, and what I saw. It makes me uneasy. Ben unconscious, his arm basically ripped to shreds. We didn't even take him to the hospital! We just used some old bandages from the market and-- and I don't know. It's just hiding all this is driving me insane. The public should know. Plus, now everyone in Derry thinks the two of them-- Ben and Mike-- just 'ran off' like two rebellious kids. When they didn't, they were kidnapped." He said, his voice cracking as if he was crying.

Oh, he was crying.

"Stanley." I said, ruffling the string of my lamp so my room would light up.

His eyes were a bright peach as tears fell down his face. It made my heart pound within my throat, I hated seeing people cry. Him especially.

I threw my blankets to the side, and quickly got up and onto Stanley's mattress, sitting down in front of him.

"You aren't pressured into anything. We're all in this together." I whispered as he sobbed quietly.

"I-I know... I feel s-stupid for c-crying." He said sniffling.

"No, Stanley. It's okay to cry, it's okay to show emotion." I said softly. His head lifted up

And unexpectedly, we kissed.
I stuttered, unsure of what to say. Stanley looked stunned, as so did I.

   Where do we go from here?