The Wunder Games 19

"Olivi?" Brit's eyes have fluttered open. "Where's Hunter?"

"Gone," I whisper.

"He left us?" she sounds mortified, "He would never-"

"No," I say, "He'll be gone for just a little while."

"Why?" Brit asks.

"You need medicine," I sigh, plopping myself down next to Brit's bed of moss. "We currently have none. But if we don't get that medicine soon, your wound could get infected and you know what follows that." Brit nods and blinks as if she's trying to choke back tears. "Hey, don't cry," I assure her, "You're going to be alright! I promise!"

"It's not me I'm worrying about, Olivi!" Brit sobs, "It's Hunter. He's gone to steal from the Careers, hasn't he? If he never comes back, it's all my fault!"

"No," I point out, "I don't know whose fault it is, but I know Anemae chose the wrong girl to shoot. She should have kept her bow to herself, instead of shooting the bravest, most loyal girl I know! And Brit, when you're better, we'll make her pay for her mistake!"

"No," Brit places her hand on my shoulder, "Revenge isn't the right thing to do. We shouldn't go looking for Anemae. If she comes back to us, we'll make her sorry then."

"You're right," I say, "We'll not go looking for her."

Dawn is striking the sky. We were pretty much up all night, fighting Six and Seven and deciding what to do about that medicine. I mutter a quick prayer for Hunter, then tell Brit to get as much sleep as she can. She eventually closes her eyes, after about a half hour of me stroking her hair. I, on the other hand, cannot sleep. I sit in a patch of ferns and gaze up at the starry sky.

I am reminded of the nights when Mother and I layed on the sand down by the beach and held a contest to see who could name the most constellations. 

Loser had to go jump in the ocean. I always lost. I would crawl back on the beach, sandy hair streaked with seaweed and soaking wet. My mother would laugh and her laughter was contageous. I would begin to giggle to and soon we were laughing so hard that it was a wonder that the Peacekeepers didn't find us and arrest us for breaking curfew.

I can't identify any constellations now. I am definately sitting under a fake sky. The normal Capitol sky would be clouded with so many fumes that you wouldn't be able to see the stars.

And soon, slumber finds me.

************

"Olivi?" Someone is shaking me. "Olivi?" 

Attack! My eyes pop open, as I distinctively jump up and fit an arrow into the string.

"Olivi, relax!" Brit shouts at me, "I'm just wondering if I can start breakfast." I glance around and no one is in the clearing but Brit and I. Judging from the light of the sky, it must be at least noon. I am about to kill myself for sleeping this late. 

"Well," I growl, "It'll be more like brunch, but okay."

Brit flinches at every step, but eventually makes it over to the place where our food is hidden. She pulls out some roots and berries and we split the handful. 

When brunch is finished, I leave Brit well camouflaged on her bed of moss, while I scan the foliage close by for white spruce. I remember my mother telling me it could help with stopping infection. I eventually find a few twigs of it and bring it back to Brit. 

She falls asleep quite easily, looking very peaceful.

In the late afternoon, a loud cannon awakes her. Brit bolts out of bed, grasping her arm, and over to my side. This is the first cannon that has been heard since the evening after the battle at the Horn.