The Wunder Games 13

Please comment!

VOTE! FAN!

I need to know if you guys like this or not!

Thanks! Now enjoy...

*********************************

What? What's going on? He can't be my mom's cousin. He's too young! This is impossible! But apparently, it's happening. I pinch myself, praying this is a nightmare and that I will awake any second. My mother, who is probably watching from the big screen in the town square at home, must be shocked. I am as well.

Garren and Elaina's eyes are glued on me, but mine are stuck to the television.

"That's not good," Ariar comments after a long silence.

"No, it's not," the boy admits, just as the buzzer sounds.

"Oh well, Hunter," Ariar says, "Time's up. Best of luck to you, tribute from District Nine." Hunter exits the stage. And I am stuck here praying I will have the chance to talk to him before we enter the arena tomorrow. Also praying I won't be the one to kill him.

**********************************

When Karine's name is called, she quietly steps on to the stage and takes a seat next to Ariar.

"Welcome, Karine!" Ariar exclaims, "How old are you?"

"Twelve," she replies with greater confidence than I think I had.

"Fantastic!" Ariar says, smiling brightly. I am appalled. How can he find sending a twelve year old girl to her death fantastic? Maybe he was just trying to be nice. "You worked in the training center for three days. Can you tell us your favorite weapon?

"Well," Karine responds, "I was shown a lot of weapons. Some of them were huge like the swords and maces, but I stuck to the daggers and slingshots. The smaller ones."

"Were you good at them?" Ariar inquires.

"Yes," Karine says, "But I won't tell you which I was best at." She slyly half-smiles.

"I can't wait to see," Ariar says, "What has been your favorite part of coming to the Capitol?"

"The speed of the train," Karine says, shrugging. This receives several bouts of laughter. "Also the architecture. It's beautiful here. But in a different way than back at home."

"How is it beautiful at home?" I understand why Ariar asks this. He is confused. Why wouldn't he be? I've seen District Twelve on T.V. and it's an old shabby place that reminds me of a ghost town.

"The forests!" Karine answers, "The Meadow! It's all so lovely. And we're right up in the mountains!"

"Well," Ariar says, "I'm glad you take pride in your home!" The buzzer sounds. "Oh, Karine, that's all the time we have. Best of luck to you, tribute from District Twelve!" Karine's out and Daze steps up next as the final interview.

I am so tired that I zone out during most of Daze's interview. He remains very silent through most of it, only answering each question with a simple yes or no. I want to tell him to talk! Talk! If he shows his personality, it might earn him sponsors! It will be the only way for them to get food! Unless there is another way...

Before I know it, Ariar Flickerman is saying farewell to Daze. Then there's the good night portion and the show is over.

All of the tributes are herded into the people mover to be taken back to the training center. As Garren and I enter the crowd, I spot Hunter, who is supposedly my mother's cousin, pushing through hordes of people with his fellow tribute, a medium sized girl with almond eyes and jet black hair.

"Hunter!" I scream, "Hunter!"

"Olivi, wait!" Garren shouts over the noise, but I am already squeezing through the crowd over to the Nine group.

"Hunter!" I yell again. This time he turns around.

"Olivi?" 

"Hunter," I reach him finally, "I have to talk to you."

"We do need to talk," he agrees.

"Uh, Hunter?" the girl from his district taps his shoulder, "I'll let you two be alone. See you on the mover." Hunter nods.

"Okay," he says, "See you, Brit." And she's gone.

"Are you sure you're mom's cousin?" I ask Hunter.

"Nearly 100% certain," he answers.

"Nearly's not good enough," I point out.

"Well, you want evidence?" Hunter says, "Her name is Laleena Stuursma and her husband's name was Dustin, but he died in the rebellion. Your mother enjoys walks along the beach, reading, writing and bird-watching. Peaceful things like that. And she-"

"Okay," I concede, "You're my mother's cousin. How did you know her if you live in District Nine?"

"I used to live in Four," he replies, "But my mother was a great gardner. She baked her wheat into bread and sold it to everyone, even the mayor. He said a woman with such skills shouldn't be stuck in the fishing district. My mom said she wasn't 'stuck', but she, Dad, Alina and I were transported to District Nine. My mom misses everyone."

"Oh, I see," I say, "Who's Alina?"

"My sister," Hunter responds. We wait awkwardly for a minute.

"What are we going to do in the arena?" I whisper.

"I hope I won't have to kill you," he remarks.

"You wouldn't," I point out, "Because I wouldn't kill you...would you kill me?"

"No," he promises, "I wouldn't. I don't want anyone do die. I don't see why we have to do this."

"To keep the districts in line," I respond bitterly. 

"Olivi!" That would be Elaina. She emerges from the people mover. "There you are! The mover is going to leave! I don't want you to be stuck here!"

"Yeah," Hunter says, "I've got to go. Crinnen will be looking for me. Um, I'll see you around...in the arena...I guess. If we cross paths, truce?"

"Truce," I agree. And he disappears into the people mover.

"Come on, Olivi!" Elaina snatches my wrist and drags me on to the mover. Garren waits. He has saved two seats, one for me and one for Elaina.

"Both of you did great!" she squeals. 

"Thank you," I say, "Klea needs credit for the looks."

"Of course," Elaina agrees, "You look gorgeous! Which jewels are those?"

"Pure aquamarines," I answer. Then gape at myself. Who am I? Not the poor girl from the seaside who can't scrouge up enough gold to purchase half a dozen apples!

And then the people mover pulls away from the station. I gaze out the window as we fly further and further away from the studio.

Further and further away from Olivi Stuursma.

*********************

AUTHOR'S NOTE! YOUR FAVORITE PART, RIGHT?

So anyway, I hope you guys are enjoying it. I want to know if you are! So comment, fan, and vote!

Writer's Tip: Don't forget to use the Oxford comma. Sometimes I forget! :0

But it makes a big difference! Check this out.

We invited the rhinos, Washington, and Lincoln. (In this case, you are inviting all three.)

We invited the rhinos, Washington and Lincoln. (In this case, Washington and Lincoln are the rhinos.)

So use the Oxford comma! Thanks for reading! And putting up with my craziness!

Luv y'all!

Glimmer

p.s. Give the song "Peter Pan" by Jacqueline a listen! It's really good! And the girl who sings it plays Foxface in the Hunger Games.

Holy &%@# this has been a super long author's note!