The Wunder Games 11

Four for effort, maybe? I was expecting lower, but judging by the reactions I hear around the room, everyone else was expecting higher.

"Olivi?" Klea stammers, "There...there must have a been a mistake or something!"

"You said you were good!" Elaina spits out. I want to tell them I am good. Shut up and let me do my thing! But they'll see soon enough in the arena. Garren only sits and glares at me with narrowed eyes. Did he regret the hug? I'll bet.

Eventually everyone calms down enough to pay attention to the rest of the scores. Anemae gets an eight, a score I was expecting. Everyone else doesn't do too well, but I am anxious to see what Daze and Karine received. District Twelve is last, naturally. Daze scores an eight and Karine, a seven! I am so excited for them! I don't know what they did but it must have impressed the Gamemakers quite a bit!

************************************

Towards bedtime, everyone is still mumbling about my score and congrulating Garren. We remain in the living room longer than everyone else because his look clearly says "We need to talk."

After everyone has cleared out, Garren stands. He has a twisted confused look on his face.

"You're not mad at me?" I confront him.

"No," he admits, "I am just puzzled as to why you would do that?"

"Do what?"

"You know what I'm talking about." My score, of course.

"You don't think I suck?"

"I think you're playing it down," Garren tells me. Crap. Next, the Careers are going to know. Heck, the whole pool of tributes.

My immediate instinct is to shove him in to the wall, forearm slid across his neck.

"You. Can't. Tell. Anyone." I clench my teeth. "Or I will strangle you like I did Brite." Garren doesn't seem as tense.

"Relax, Olli," he grins, "Both of your secrets are safe with me." I release him and I guess he didn't know he was about a foot off the ground. He slides to the floor, but pushes himself back up again.

"So," I say, "Tell me why I would play it down."

"Challenge accepted," he says, "I think you don't want to team up with the Careers and me, so you're trying to get rid of them. I also think you want to slip away in the arena. By receiving a low training score, you are smart to think you won't be the immediate target. Also, you want to save your skills so tributes will come, expecting an easy fight, but instead get the fight of their life. You will have the advantage."

He nailed it.

"Exactly," I say, giving him a rare smile. It's a mischevous one. 

"Don't worry," he assures me, "I will be working with the Careers in the arena, but I'll always have your back, if you need me."

"Thanks," I say.

************************************

I am awakened in the morning. My prep team makes a heck of a lot of noise, entering my room with their cart of make-up and beauty products.

"Oh gosh, Olivi!" Kallien squeals, "We didn't mean to wake you!"

"That's okay," I tell her, "I would have to get up soon anway. It's a big day."

"It's interview day!" Klea enters the room, today dressed like a blue fairy. Her lips are cerulean and hair streaked with aqua stripes. Some of the silver ones still stand out though. "Like the new look, Olli? I just had an appointment this morning!"